Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Jars?

Just re-reading the paperwork for nursery and it seems that I read it wrong first time! I thought that meals were included for Evie in the baby room but it now looks like we have to pay ??1.50 a meal for her so an extra ??9 a week or I can take jars/packet food in for her (basically as long as it's sealed and has heating instructions on it they'll make it up) As I've been a full time mum both of mine have always had homemade food and I've always been a bit against using jars and packets (not that I think anyone who does is wrong, it's just a case of what works for you lol!) That said I object to paying for a full meal that I know she'll only eat a bit of. I really don't know what to do for the best, already feel like I'm abandoning her to go back to work whereas Joe's had me at home for 3 years, this just makes me feel worse! But then jars are cheaper and it's only for one meal a day, she'd still be having a homemade tea most days.
Please tell me that my baby won't hate me for leaving her and feeding her jarred food?!?!?!?!?!?:roll:

Replies

• Options
    Hi Zoe,

Please do not feel bad. I am returning to work soon and I too have to provide meals for the childminder, therefore I will have to use jars for these days. I will give fresh food the rest of the time.
    Your baby will not hate you !! image Yor babies love fro you is unconditional. Boots are doing 5 small jars of cow and gate at the moment for ??2 and waitrose are doing ella's organic kitchen foods x 4 for ??2. I have brought a few to try as we are going away on holiday to a caravan for a week soon, so will not be taking blender etc.
    Hope this helps,
    Mary xx
  • Options
    I'm still pregnant at ther mo but will have the same probs as you as will be returning to work.

I'd look at the positive which is that if you provide the Nursery with the food, you'll know exactly what they'll be eating.

Also although 1 jar won't do any harm but have you thought about just giving them your own homemade baby food. As long as they store at heat as requested it should be ok? x
  • Options
    Hi zoe

Just wondering which nursery you are sending evie to? I've just started a new job today so i was thinking of putting bella in for 1 day a week. Theres a long waiting list at the one i want her to go to so am looking around.

Lucy and Bella
    xx
  • Options
    Hi girls,

Lixiedixie (love the name!!) they won't let me take my own food in. I asked that when I was looking round, it's all to do with health and safety apparently. They have to know what's in the food (yeah, cos I'm gonna fill my baby with salt and sugar aren't I?!) and the heating/preparation instructions have to be printed on the jar or packet!

Lucy, they're both going to Walton Lane Children's Centre in Nelson. I'm going to be working in Brierfield so it's easier to have them over that way. Whitegate nursery in Padiham was recommended to me but they didn't have vacancies for both of them. Where you working at? Does it feel weird leaving Bella? I've been quite laid back about it upto now but term starts a week tomorrow and suddenly I'm dreading leaving them but at the same time am really excited about just being Zoe again, not just Joe and Evie's mum!!!!

Thanks for all the replies ladies, think I'm just having a neurotic evening!
    Zoe
    xx
  • Options
    Hiya

where in brierfield are you working? Yeah its whitegate i wanted her to go to but I have a friend who works at le monde petit in burnley so im going to look there tomorrow. I was nervous about leaving Bella, but my hubby had her today and he did really well, she didnt get upset (part of me wanted her to scream so I know she missed me!!!) We are working it around our shifts so hopefully she will just go in for one day a week. I started a new job for a merchandising company, I am looking after the entertainment section at Tesco in Burnley. Its great, only 3 days a week and really flexible....I wasnt supposed to go back to work until october but this job was just too perfect to pass on! It would have been too difficult to go back to my other job.
    I still get to do all my baby stuff aswell on the other days. Bella is loving bounce and rhyme at burnley library at the mo, she has the hugest grin all the way thru!!

xx
  • Options
    I know what you mean about wanting them to miss you. I left both of mine for an hours settling session at nursery last week. Neither of them bothered when I left them (which is good, I know) and Evie just looked at me when I went to pick them up (she was pulling a proper "am I bovered?" face, lil madam!) but Joe came pelting at me and gave me the biggest hug. I'm going to miss doing all baby and toddler groups with them both but new job is 5 days a week and school hours so no choice! The position I originally went for was 20hours a week so offered a bit more flexibility. That said the one that I'm doing is working with children over 2 different key stages so is going to give me so much more experience and I'm really really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Hi Lara,

I stocked up on some Hipp organic jars at asda this morning and she's just had some for her tea, figured I'd better give it a go before she starts nursery. Tried her on sweet squash and chicken and the little monkey wolfed it down, was whinging at me for not going fast. Have to say I'm quite offended that she preferred that to mummy's puree masterpieces-witchypoo! But at least I know she won't starve at nursery hey?! Her nursery is costing ??24 a day so not too bad really, we have to provide nappies, wipes & formula too but that seems fairly standard in all the ones I looked at.
    How's life at Asda going? I'm going to apply for some seasonal work there coming upto Christmas I think.

Zoe
    xx
  • Options
    Hey Zoe,

How come nobody warned me about mother's guilt???

It's crazy isn't it. The jars have really good ingredients these days and yet we still feel bad when we give our darlings jars of food. What's wrong with me?!?!

At least Evie likes them. Samuel is a bit of a jar snob at the mo. I've only tried them twice and the 2nd effort today was more successful but he's still not keen. He wolfs down my homemade food.

Do remind yourself that you're a fab Mum and you're doing the best for your little ones.

Big hugs,

Jo x x x
  • Options
    I've stocked up on Hipp Organic jars and pots. I insisted that my first daughter ate nothing but homecooked food and she turned into a right fussy eater (not suggesting that all babies will be like that - i just obviously did something wrong) so this time i'm being a lot more laid back. Obviously doing my own home cooking but for a bit of variety giving her the odd jar now again too. Don't feel guilty hun - it's not like she'll be living off them for breakfast, lunch and dinner! xxx
  • Options
    I feed Lexi mostly home made food (Delia Smith eat your heart out) but also give the odd shop bought meal. I can recommend the Ella's Kitchen range, Lexi loves them, we get them at Tesco.