Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What a week!!

I apologise now for the essay but thought I'd share our 3 days from hell with you all!
When I stopped BF 5 weeks ago I started with mastitis so got antibiotics from docs which after 4 courses(!?!) finally took the infection away but left me with a big lump. Anyway last week I went back to docs and they decided it'd turned into an abcess and I needed to be seen at hospital that afternoon for treatment. OH off work with what I thought was manflu so left him in bed, MIL came to have Joe whilst Evie and I tootled off to the hospital. Doc came and checked me out, confirmed it was an abcess and tried to drain it with a needle. She didn't use any local anaethestic as, apparently, it's as painful to put that in as it is to drain it - utter b*llocks if you ask me- it hurt so much and she couldn't get any fluid off. Left me in treatment room nursing my holey boob and came back half hour later to tell me I had to go back the following day to have it drained with the help of an ultrasound scan. Joy of joys!!
MIL had both kids next day and OH (still suffering) and I went back where a lovely man gave me local (which didn't hurt at all) and tried to drain again using ultrasound to show where gunk was. He used about 5 needles of varying sizes but the gunk was too thick so only way forward would be to operate under general anaesthetic as a day surgery case.
Went back to day ward to recover and wait for appointment for surgery. Couldn't believe it when nurse said that they'd put me on that afternoon's list and I should be drained and home that night. One of my really good friends is in charge of the operating theatres at that hospital so had very kindly squeezed me in on the end of an emergency list. All this time Elliott's getting progressively poorlier so sent him to docs where it turns out that the manflu I'd been winding him up about was actually a really nasty chest infection coupled with a viral throat infection. They gave him really strong antibiotics, inhalers and painkillers and told him to rest - ooops!!
I was taken into theatre at about half four for op and when I came round they told me that due to the size of the abcess (5x5x6 inches, I'll have you know!!!!) and the length of time that I'd ended up being knocked out for, I'd have to stay in overnight. Cue much panicking from me about how Elliott would cope with a 3 year old and a 7 week old when he was so poorly and plenty of tears about having to leave my babies. Thankfully Jayne (my friend in theatre) said she'd have Evie overnight and Joe's a doddle-come 7pm he's off to bed where he stays til 7am the next morning. Off I went to the ward quite excited by the prospect of a feed free night thinking that all was merry at home.
Come next morning I texted Els to see how they all were only to get a reply telling me that he'd been up since 3am with a poorly Joe!! Got him in docs and turns out he has throat and ear infection. I came out of hospital yesterday afternoon, with instructions to take it easy, to two very poorly boys and a little lady who was very happy to see her mummy!! 3 out of the 4 of us are on antibiotics and painkillers and I'm making the boys stay well away from Evie as I don't want her to catch their lurgy. Got district nurse coming every day for next fortnight to change packing in my boob (sorry tmi!) and dressing. The house is an absolute tip, the ironing pile is huge and neither of us can be bothered to shower let alone bath the kids (minging but true - we're a very ripe family at the moment!!!)
It's true that it never rains, it pours!!!!!!

Replies

• Options
    I'll wait till you've had a wash at least b4 coming on then! And the boys are rid of the urgy lurgy!!! Give us a bell if ya need owt chick. x
    PS that would've been a cheap boob job for me at half the size!!!
  • Options
    I know, part of me hopes that boobs will be really wonky when it heals so I can plead distress and have a reduction on NHS!!!! You can have the left overs if you want hon-two for one!!!!!
  • Options
    aww poor you what a week! Hope you and all your family on the mend. I had an abcess a few years ago.....it was called a perianal abcess so work out where it was. I was in agony and it bloody hurt. I had to go in for 3 days and the worse bit was when they removed the packing the first time. it was like they were pulling razor blades out of my wound...ow!!!!!! worse than child birth!
    I never had one in boob and can only imagine the pain as mine hurt all the time when feeding anyway.
    I hope this is an end for you and your manflu hubbie and your little baby recover too. Things can only get better so they say!!!!!!!!
    d x
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough time...hope you are all better soon xxx