Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Listening

Hello ladies, hope everyone and their lo's are well,

I'm worried Erin doesn't seem to listen anymore. She only listens if its something she wants. I started her dancing lessons and she doesn't listen to the teacher much at all just copies the other children (most of time). Some of the children have been going a lot longer than her and are older, but sometimes she wanders off looking in the instructors bag etc. But tbh she has always been cheeky but relativley well behaved, but she has all of a sudden started saying things like ' no mummy' 'i told you' 'i want i want in (a really loud winnning voice)' 'NO' I know she is 2 and this is normal, but even when we are near the road she used to hold my hand look for cars etc now she just bolts and no matter what approach I take she will not listen to me and I feel like i have no control anymore, its making me not want to take her to places in case i cannot keep her under control. If she is around other children she we scream 'its mine' even if she hasn't got anything she told a 7 y/o off in Asda because 'its myyyy trolley' even though the boy was no where near her!!

She has timeout corner and this works well. But not sure what tact to take when we are out and about. We viewed a house for my sister on friday and she spent the whole time runny wild not listening and just being plain naughty tbh, and i struggled to gain control of her. I started to do things like just hold her until tantrum is finished or shoving a dummy in her mouth !!! which is one of those things i vowed never to do. (one if many things !) My mum and sister keep telling me she is just full of character but is that just a nice way of saying she's naughty !!

any advice much appreciated,
Mez x x

Replies

• Options
    TBH, I do think its an age thing. It sounds like you are dealing with it in the right way and not shouting or getting angry with her. So long as you are consistent with time out or saying No etc then she will start to listen and to learn.

Obviously if she is running near a road then this is dangerous. maybe threaten her with her pushchair if she doesnt walk beside you and hold your hand?

Our babies are growing up fast and we can expect them to start knowing danger and how to act when out and about. However they will always push the boundaries as far as they can. Its all part of the learning process. They do understand when they are been good/naughty. I must admit I am with your mum and sister though. I like to see kids with character rather than quiet ones who seem too good!

good luck

d xxx

[Modified by: dee dee on May 20, 2010 12:20 PM]

• Options
    she sounds just like freya, as dee said i think that its just an age thing, they love to test the boundries. Sounds like you are doing things right and its just a case of riding it out.
    good luck. xxxxx
  • Options
    I agree that I think it's their age. Samuel went through horrendous terrible twos about a month ago and he was really hard work to be around at times. But he's back to being really good again now.

At times, last month, I would just stick him under my arm like a pig and march around shops with my big bump getting strange glares off everyone because he just wouldn't listen to me. He obviously screamed the whole time.

He doesn't like holding my hand at roads sometimes either, but I just grab his hand hard if this happens and tell him he has to hold my hand.

Hopefully this trickty phase will come and go and won't be there permanently for you!