Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cow's Milk or Aptimal Growing Up Milk?

I was just wondering what you ladies are planning on doing with regards to milk now that our LO's are hitting 1 year.

I had intended on moving Olivia straight onto cow's milk but today i've found a leaflet in my new tub of Aptimal about new Aptimal Growing Up Milk.

The thing is, with Abigail i moved her onto cow's milk and she quite quickly dropped her milk altogether & as she was quite a fussy eater anyway i spent a good year or so stressed about her getting all the nutrients & vitamins she needed.

On the other hand, Olivia is completely the opposite and will eat anything i give her & still enjoys 3 x 7oz of milk a day. I'm worried that if i switch to the cow's milk she too will drop her milk as well.

I know milk isn't quite as important as it was now she is approaching 1 year but i still like her to have a warm bottle of milk before she gets up and when she goes to bed if possible. I don't know, perhaps i'm still trying to keep her as my baby! lol!

Of course financially, Aptimal is about ??8/9 a tub & as tax credits will drop quite significantly once she hits one, cow's milk would be more affordable but at the same time if it's better for her to have the Aptimal then i will willingly pay out for it.

I don't know. What are you ladies planning on doing? Do you think cow's milk or Aptimal?

Hope you & the LO's are all well xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Claire

I can understand your dilemma. What myhealth visitor suggested was to continue offering Nick his food mixed with cows milk and gradually start introducing him cow milk. Like I'll continue giving him his aptamil in the night before he sleeps and early in the morning. However remaining bottles of his milk would be cows milk. Once I know he is acquainted to cows milk, i'll move on to give him full fledged cows milk.

Hope this help. image
    xxx
    Bubbly
  • Options
    I'll be going straight to cows milk! Lucas isn't fussy anyway. When you count all the milk they get in their food its actually quite a lot.
  • Options
    Hi Claire,

Ruby is also an Aptimal baby and i'm wondering the same thing. Although not for the same reasons.

She is very happy to drink cows milk as has done on occassion when we've been out longer than expected and have no more cartons etc, but i;m wondering about the nutrtional side.

My HV said that the growing up milk as just a marketing ploy for you to buy more but babies don't need it as they'll be getting all the nutrients they need from their food (or should be!)

But after seeing the cow and gate advert about the iron i'm considering going with Aptamil Growing Up milk.

I've ordered my shopping for delivery on 2nd March and have ordered 2 cartons of growing up milk as think they'll be handy to keep in the changing bag incase we get stuck, and obviously can't keep cows milk fresh all day long.

I really don't know what to do though.

Sorry this is no help at all! Oops! xx
  • Options
    That advert annoys me!!!! See, it sucks in mothers who worry about giving their chidl all they need to grow. Iron is found in a lot more things than just milk so as long as Ruby has a varied diet she won't have to drink gallons of milk. Here are foods with iron in them:

Eggs - especially the yolk
    Oily fish e.g. tuna, sardines, pilchards, cockles and mussels
    Lamb, game, beef
    Wholemeal bread and flour
    Iron-fortified cereals - Bran, Branflakes, Weetabix
    Beans and pulses e.g. lentils, chick peas, haricot, kidney, pinto, baked, butter, peas
    Nuts - almonds, cashews, Brazils, walnuts
    Dried fruit - apricots, figs, dates
    Green vegetables - watercress, spinach

Don't give them your money- they are shamlessly advertising to consciencious mothers!
  • Options
    Hi ladies - thank you all very much for your replies. Is much appreciated.

She's already started having cows milk on her cereal and gets on fine with it so i think the transition itself wouldn't be a problem, just whether she would give up drinking it but then i suppose she could do that with formula.

I must say i am quite naive and when these companies advertise i get sucked right in & believe that everyone else is using their product so i'd be depriving her if i didn't. It's a relief that none of you have a problem with cows milk as it has released the guilt so to speak.

Nic - thank you for bringing to our attention all the foods that have iron in them. I'm always a bit confused about eggs (it's the one thing they seem to change opinions on like the weather!) I haven't actually given Olivia egg yet as i was worried that the recommended age was 12 months but now i know that not to be the case, I think i might give her scrambled eggs for breakfast!

I think i too will get in a couple of cartons for when out for the day. That seems like a sensible idea. Think i'll be switching straight to cows milk now as i too think it's bad enough charging those prices to parents who choose not to or cannot breastfeed but to then try & pile on the guilt when it's perfectly acceptable to use cow's milk is just plain wrong.

Thanks again ladies - much appreciated as always x
  • Options
    Thank you for the list Nic, that's really helpful!

Claire, Ruby loves scrambled egg! She's only had it twice but she realy enjoyed it.

I'm just like you Claire, I get so sucked in. I'm a marketing mans dream! Lol!

Ruby turns one on 6th March and I have a nearly full tub of Aptamil and one carton so I don't think i'll be buying anymore now! Will be nice to save some money too. I normally buy 4 boxes and 5 cartons at the begining of every month. I've been really happy with Aptamil though so will definately use it next time after BF.

I've learnt so much with raising Ruby, like going through the different formulas, buying a million beakers to find one that she'd take to etc, that it will be nice to not have that stress next time. Although i'm sure it would have all changed again by then! Lol!
    xxx
  • Options
    Evie's on cow's milk now. Switched her over gradually by mixing part formula and part cow's milk whilst I'm off for half term. She had the last of her formula last night and a full bottle of cow's milk this morning and she finished the lot!
  • Options
    Hi, I am gatecrashing from april babies but thought I would add Nic & Lucas is right about the growing up milk. Also - it is true that the growing up milks contain more iron BUT the vast majority of this iron isn't even absorbed by the body so it's just useless. Breast milk has less iron than formula for example but it is more easily absorbed therefore better for Lo and I think cows milk is the same after they are 1 (not being rude to those that use formula though, I didnt bf for long and ff after coming out from hospital). It's definitely a marketing ploy. As for cows milk, Gabe is 10 months soon and he's already been having cows milk on his cereal since 6 months and has 1 or 2oz in his bottle now and again. I only do this after he's finished his formula though so I know he's had enough vitamins. He loves it so hopefully we'll switch painlessly at 12 months! xxxx
  • Options
    Hiya, thanks everyone..i'm so glad I read through this as I hadn't even thought about this!!!
    Callum would have probably still been on baby milk when he got to school!