Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is your toddler any good at tidying up?

Samuel leaves all his toys scattered and strewn all over the place and appears to have no concept of tidying up, even though we attempt to encourage it all the time and make a fuss about how wonderful/good he is when he does put his toys away.

Sometimes he tidies up then picks everything out again and chucks them everywhere and laughs hysterically as he thinks this is just the best joke.

He enjoys putting rubbish in the kitchen bin and wiping the table with a cloth if I give him one, but sometimes he spills food and drinks deliberately just to clean up again. Ha ha!

Am I expecting too much too young on the tidying up front? I feel start as you mean to go on. What are your LOs like?

Replies

• Options
    same as above..we make a game of it. I say, who is going to be the best at putting the toys away. They boys and Amelia go into a frenzy of tidying up.
    works everytime.

lara...wow, send chloe my way anytime..

d x
  • Options
    Lucas is quite picky about mess but his definition of mess is a lot different from mine! For example, toys all over the place isn't mess, but plates, cups, rubbish etc is. If he's had a banana he wants it disposed of afterwards. It's quite funny now he'll even take his nappy to the bin! Pity he won't tidy his toys!
  • Options
    Erin it depends what mood she is in tbh, sometimes she is good at it but other times she has no interest in tidying toys etc, but she'll take her plate out and put rubbish in the bin etc, but toys not so much x x
  • Options
    Lucky you Lara! My friend's daughter is the same and I know they make a big fuss of tidy up time at nursery too. I've never asked at Samuel's nursery. This could be a boy/girl thing though as Lucas and Mrs Pump's DS sound a bit more like Samuel!

In fact LC, Samuel sounds almost exactly the same about throwing fruit skins in the bin, but I just don't think he recognises toys as mess.

Dee - like the idea of a game/competition although it's a bit tricky in our house with just one child so far!!

We'll keep plugging away at it image
  • Options
    jayden has days where he will tidy his toys without even being prompted to do so then other days he just leaves them lying around! image