Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training

Hi

Just wondering if any of you is considering or have started potty training. Heard thats its the biggest milestone for parents to potty train their kids! I came accross this site

http://www.babycenter.com/400_at-what-age-do-you-begin-potty-training_955197_14146789888.bc

which has set me thinking. However lo at the moment does say chiiii chiiii when he poos in his nappy then I know its time to change.

xxx
Bubbly

Replies

• Options
    personaly i dont think that there is much point trying to potty train a child before about 2. before this most dont really get it and you will both just end up stressed. most children are ready around their second birthday and will pick it up quickly, if they are strugglingthen you can always put it off for a bit longer, theres no rush. xx
  • Options
    I might get a potty just for Lucas to sit on before bath but not actually do anything with it until summer next year when I'm off and can concentrate on it. Wee boys take longer anyway.
  • Options
    ive been really lucky with my boys, they have all been out of nappies by the time they were 18 months old, they were all really easy!!
    knowing my luck harvey witll be the lazy one and still be in nappies when he is 4!!!
    xx
  • Options
    i cant really think about it until Sam is walking properly but may get in a potty so were ready. i dont want to rush him as i heard it can make thin gs harder
  • Options
    i dont even attempt it till they are well over 2. THey have to know how to take off their pants before you can even think of it.
    victoria..you just have super uber intelligent kids.... where do they get that from...lol!!!

I think gina ford has a good potty training book. my friend swore by it. charlie was about 2 and a half out of nappies but still has one at night as he is a deep sleeper. He is 3 now.

Lauren was just before her 2nd birthday. girls as much easier as Nick righlty says...boys are lazy!!!! but also boys seem to wee less so when it comes its less hassle as if your out and about its much easier to let them piddle somewhere discreet outside if you are caught out.
    A friend carried a potty everywhere and thought nothing about getting it out in a restarant when we were all eating and letting her little boy do a number 2.....that is totally grim!!!!!!!!!!
    dxx
  • Options
    i got Mia a potty a few weeks ago...mainly because i was in spending mode in boots!! Havent done anything with it yet but will prob start in the next few months. Even if its to get her to sit on it for a min or so.

But i may have to buy a new potty as the dog took and interest in it and chewed the side off!!! ggggrrrr damn dogs!! xx
  • Options
    dee, they get all of it from ME or course!!
    when i say out of nappies by that age it was only daytime nappies, obviously night time ones were for a while after that!! infact bradley my 2 1/2 year old still has them at night now because he drinks so much!!
    i have to admit its easier having children who always like to be naked (only at home of course!) then they just ran to the potty or toilet when they needed to!!!
    i was very lucky with my first, he only ever had one accident and thats coz he couldnt climb down from the play place quick enough!!
    im in no hurry to stick harvry on a potty, he`s such a pain that he would probably end up wearing it!!
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your answers ladies.. I know of one thing that by starting early potty training we are all going to strain up by the end of it. So I'll let it continue as it is going on.

Already Nick tells me chi chi when he poo's .. When me or hubby go to the toilet we tell him that we are going for chi chi or wee wee and now when we point towards the toilet and ask what it is .. he says chi chi hehe.. probably in few days we will get him sit on his potty with diapers on whenever we think he is going to poo.. so he gets an idea where to poo in the long run and slowly carry on there after over a span of 2+ years until he starts understanding on his own...

The mantra is being slow n steady in this case without getting much stressed unlike a couple of my friends who are... hmmm I hope am using the right approach for him
  • Options
    each child is so different that we all will have our own way of potty training etc..

victoria...yeah right!!!!!!! All I can say is your OH must be a very intelligent man....ha ha!!!!

Del...dogs...grrrrrrrrrrrr.... we had the grimmest but also quite funny experience last week. Charlie had the runs but wanted to play outside. he came in crying that he had pooed....it was all down his leg. I took him to the shower while OH tidied up. He could not find a poo so asked Charlie where he had pooed. Charlie pointed near a tree and said there...we looked and said where is the poo? Charlie said. 'its OK..angel (our dog) ate it'...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

that is WHY I wont let dogs lick me or my kids.... ha ha

d xx

ps we DO feed our dog honest..pedigree chum and biscuits and left overs from our food..
  • Options
    lol dee that had me in stitches....wont go into detail but even though we have 2 dogs....i only ever cleaning up after one!! dirty missy!! yuk!!! xx
  • Options
    gosh 31/2 years is too long Lara ... from lo's actions I already understand he dislikes wearing his nappies. Its better he is out of it for both of us... with us not having to spend pennies on nappies image