Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help!! My Baby Won't sleep in his cot....

Hi All,

I think i have created a bad habit. My LO is 4 and a half months now and his night time sleep is getting worse and worse. Last night he was waking every hour, most times i would put his dummy in and he would go back to sleep. Sometimes he would cry a lot so i would feed him to go back to sleep ( I am breastfeeding) However i normally let him fall asleep in my arms while feeding but i am trying to stop this now. I think this maybe why he is waking so often because he is not in my arms. I was so tired by 4.00am that i put him in my bed at the opposite side, then he slept through! His cot is right next to my bed but he doesn't even seem to fall for this. I can't le him cry it out too much as my OH has to get up for work at 5.30 am and he gets woken up to.
He used to wake once in the night and feed and go stright back, this s making it more frustrating for me. I am tempted to start bottle feeding as most my friends that do their babies seem to sleep through. WHen i put him to bed, i lay on my bed and he's in the cot and sometimes i stroke his head so he will drift off.

Any advice or help would be great as i just don't know what to do!

Many Thanks!! xx

Also posted on baby chat room

Replies

• Options
    Hey wanna say firstly that Riley is bottle fed and is not sleeping through, so don't switch just because of that!
    I have to let Riley cry himself to sleep at night and every nap time now. He sleeps in his own room in his cot and has been for a while so it makes it a bit easier to let him cry. I don't let him in the night though as I don't wanna disturb the neighbours so I put the hairdryer on to get him to sleep and it gets him to sleep quite quickly. I used to put it on in the day but it was getting ridiculous as I ended up doing it at every nap time and he's a sleepy baby!
    He always falls asleep within 5, 10mins at most. He won't have a dummy which is a bit of a pain, but he is beginning to find his thumb.
    Sometimes I put Riley in my bed in the day for a nap if I go for a sleep too and he'll sleep longer. Think our beds our warmer and comfier than a cot mattress so thats probably why.
    Maybe you could make his cot really cosy by warming it with a hot water bottle then putting one of your tops in there with him so he can still smell you.
    Sorry I can't be of much help!
    xxx
  • Options
    Glad i am not the only one! So many people i speak to at baby groups and they say how easy their babies are and sleep 8-8........that seems like a long time away for me and Oliver!. Yeah maybe i will try putting rolled up blanket around him aswell, he has a cot bed so he does look a bit lost in it! No thats great help, any advise is good advise. Kel how often does Riley wake in the night and do you still feed him in the night?

Emily x
  • Options
    Don't worry you're not alone!
    I put him to bed at about 7pm so he has his last feed about 6.30pm. I dream feed about 10-10.30 and depending on how much he takes he will wake for a feed anytime between 1.30-3.30 (the 3.30 happened for the first time last night, maybe something to do with me starting to wean him).

He then wakes between 5 and 7. If he wakes earlier than 6.30 I leave him in his cot and put the hairdryer on which usually sends him back to sleep.
    xxx

[Modified by: xkelx on August 05, 2009 12:52 PM]

• Options
    i agree and wouldnt worry, my lo is bottle fed but on a night i feed her etc in the bedroom and afterwards i have to cradle her in my arms singing nursery rhymes to sleep! shes getting heavy too! ithen when i put her down shes twitchy for 5 mins or so but i try leaving her then she'll stop. you could always try putting her in cot and sitting next to her as thats what i use to do it worked but out window now lol but i sang to her then and my bad singing sent her off to sleep lol but she use to jusr sit looking at me. x
  • Options
    maybe he likes the comfort of your arms, i bought one of those things that they lie between so it stops them rolling over and darren also likes it cause he feels secure, worth a try of he likes bein cuddled!!

xx
  • Options
    Amelia is bottl'e fed and still wakes in the night but not for a feed,so don't think switching will make any difference. She winges in her sleep, gradually getting louder until I go and put her dummy back in. This has got gradually worse over the last 2 weeks. She is teething so think this is effecting her sleep - could this be the same for you?
    Amelia usually wakes as bright as a button between 5 and 6 and I just take her to bed with me and she goes back down until 8ish - Its a bad habit but I need my sleep. I'm hoping once fully weaned she'll sleep till 7am in her cot - Well fingers crossed anyway!!!
  • Options
    Oh no. You must be shattered! Its just perseverance I think. Developing a habit etc.Weaning still is not making my ds sleep through! Its all so annnoying as I don't want to become obsessed by his routine/feeding patterns. We have only ever had one 7-7 sleep. Oh well... x