Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I locked Millie in the car today! :(

Meant to post this in here but posted in baby by accident!! I bet they are thinking who is this crazy lady locking her baby in her car and telling us about it! ha I rarely post in baby so dont think anyone knows me!

What a nightmare day I've had!

I'm using my mums car for a couple of weeks as she hasn't been well and can't drive at the moment so she got me insured so I can go and see her everyday with Millie and keep her spirits up! Well I was loading it up with the pram, bag etc ready to go and see my mum for the day when a little boy about 3yrs came out of the back garden of a house opposite me shouting to his mum he was going round the front.....which is a busy main road! I could hear his mum shouting him but she sounded far away so I wondering what to do as I had just fastened Millie in her car seat and didn't want to leave her whilst I went chasing after the little boy, so I watched as he did actually go round the corner so I thought I have to do something so threw the car keys on the drivers seat, pressed the lock down on the door and shut it thinking Millie would be safer...then just got to the corner about 10m away when his mum came round the corner shouting him so I showed her where he was and went back to the car and tried to open the drivers door and thats when I realised I hadn't unlocked it!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart was pounding and I started to panic as I could see my handbag with my door keys in the passenger footwell and the bloody car keys on the divers seat! I ran to my next door nieghbour who came out with her husband and tried to break in for about 5 mins, Millie was just sat smiling at us! I decided to ring my mum from my nieghbours (who lives 15mins away, so 30mins round trip!) and told her I had to come for the spare key and my nieghbour's husband would give me a lift whilst she stayed with Millie, but when I came back out after ringing my mum, Millie was screaming and she looked so scared! image I felt awful I couldn't get to her and I told my nighbour I couldn't possibly leave her like that for 30 mins! So I tried pulling the doors and the boot hoping they would budge, then I thought about the back windows, the car is a KA so has those back windows that just push out to open. I went round to the opposite side Millie was on and put my fingers under the edge of it and tried to prise it open so I would be able to pop it open, but with hardly any force at all it smashed into a million pieces in my hands, my nieghbour went and got a piece of wire and i managed to hook the keys on it! I rushed round to the passenger side and got Millie out as fast as I could....luckily no glass had gone on her, but was all over the rest of the car!!! As I got her out she was so hot and couldn't breathe properly because she was so upset I felt awful!! I was so glad I hadn't gone to my mums as she would have been a right state!! I cant believe I did and I've felt felt awful all day, and still do now to be honest, I'll never forget the feeling of relief and love when I got her out. She had forgotten all about it 5 mins later and was snuggled up fast asleep on my knee but I didn't want to put her down!

Just needed to get it off my chest as I can't believe I was soo stupid! Our car has central locking so it would never happen but my mums car hasn't and Im always joking with her how easy it would be to look the keys in! I never in a million years thought I would lock my baby and my handbag with house keys in it!! Nightmare!

x:cry:

Replies

• Options
    Oh Beth, what a nightmare!! Im glad everything turned out alright, things like that are so easily done, don't beat yourself up about it-i once locked my husband INSIDE the house!! He had to climb out of a window to go to work!!

In a few years time you'll be able to tell Millie all about it and im sure she'll have a good giggle!!x
  • Options
    Oh bless you sounds like you've had a right old day !!

At least baba was ok you did the right thing not leaving her xxx