Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Blue Nights

Oh, lordy, am I tired! Peter has been awake since 4:30 this morning - and his dad and I have been awake as well!

We still don't have anything like a routine but I thought we had managed to work out the difference between day and night, marked by an evening ritual. At about 9 he has his bath, is put in a clean nappy and sleep suit, has a final feed, a story, the other breast if he wants it, and then gets put down. He is usually either asleep or so sleepy that he will drift off soon after he goes in his crib and will then sleep for 3.5 to 4 hours. He feeds again at 2:00/2:30 and then goes down for another 3 hours or so when he wakes me for his morning feed and we start the day. (He will often fuss long enough for me to have a shower before he gets really upset at this point. My husband will often cuddle him if he seems particularly upset, which calms him down long enough for me to get ready to feed him.)

Well, last night he woke at 2, fed, had a nappy change, fed again and went down by 2:30 - the most efficient he has been for several days (normally this feed takes about an hour). I was thrilled but of course it was too good to be true. He was awake again at 4:30, fed for 15 minutes, burped, was put back down - and started crying! And that was it. He spent the next 2 hours fussing or crying or being held by one of us - quiet but completely awake. As soon as we put him down in his crib he started wailing again. He burped, threw up, farted, was changed again - nothing helped. He fed again at 6 and at 6:40, then my husband took him while I had a bath. He fell asleep on my husband and stayed asleep when I took him again at 8 until I got him up at 8:30 in preparation for the hv. He did the most enormous stool - just as I took his nappy off so it went everywhere (sorry, tmi :rollimage. Got him cleaned up, fed him, got myself dressed and fed him again! by which time the hv arrived. He fed most of the time she was here then fell asleep - until I put him down to get him dressed, at which point he started wailing again. His dad now has him while I have a bite to eat and five minutes to myself. Thank heavens for the university vacations, which means my husband is home for the rest of the week.

Hopefully, hopefully he will fall asleep properly at some point today so that we can get naps. I am so tired and was in tears, desperate to get him to settle, for so much of last night. This is the second time this has happened in the last five days, as well! The hv's not very helpful comment was that this is part of his six-week growth spurt. Whatever it is, I hope we don't have many more nights like this in the near future as it really is exhausting. :\(

Sorry for the epic. No need to reply. I really just needed to get this off my chest. I am happy to be doing baby-led feeding, but oh, goodness, I could use a routine - and sleeping through the night would be heaven!

Replies

• Options
    Aw its bloody awful isnt it, we have no routine what so ever now its tits!!! she has a nap at 9 then goes down properly about 1130 then wake 2hours later then maybe 1.5 - 2 hours there after which is crap coz i want her to at least go 3 hours, im so tired like, i must be doing something wrong. we thought it was the moses basket so we bought a cotbed yesterday and it made things worse. so im at a complete loss, all i can think of now is change hr milk from sma to cow and gate which everyone has said do so i dont know now.

Lxxx
  • Options
    my lo didnt like to sleep in his moses basket at night until i put a blanket under his head as a pillow, i only did this cause i noticed that the mattress in his basket is alot harder than the one in his pram
  • Options
    Well, he seems to be asleep now - finally! He hasn't slept for more than about half an hour at a time all day and spent most of it crying or eating. (He ate solidly from 2:30 to 4:30! :eekimage It is either his six-week growth spurt or a reaction to the antibiotics I've been taking for mastitis or a combination of both. Thank goodness we are seeing the doctor tomorrow morning as the hv was pretty hopeless, just telling me all the stuff I knew anyway about getting wind up. *sigh* Hopefully he will be exhausted enough to sleep tonight. *crosses all her fingers and toes*

Loz, I'm sure you aren't doing anything wrong. Babies this young just get confused between night and day - and sometimes they don't sleep. They should grow out of it - soon, I hope!
  • Options
    have you tryed wrapping the baby tight in a blanket this woks fo ruby i put the blanket in a diamond shape and fold 1 coner down the wap one side under 1 arm then pull the other tight around her this makes them feel like they are still being held good luck
  • Options
    We have nights like this...just wen i think we have got some sort of routine going it all goes out the window again. The only thing i do is struggle thru the night and following day (and snap at everyone lol) and then usually the next few nights are better then back to a bad one!!

The swaddling blanket used to work wonderfully for Erin but now she hates having her arms restricted and just battles against it..so we dropped that idea.
    She also doesnt like laying on her back and will go straight off to sleep on her side..but with all the stuff about cot death i worry terribly but HV says its ok and to be honest when my other daughters were babies (now 11 & 13) we were told to lay on their sides not back for the same reasons now, so wen she wont settle i do pop her on her side with a blanket rolled up to stop her rolling on her front and this then gives me a lil bit of sleep!

But we hit 6 weeks tomo and ive heard that they should start to settle into a routine soon (cant eemember from last time round) so fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    Malakin, I was hoping that Peter would do the same thing - sleep well last night after being awake almost all day yesterday. But no - he woke to feed four times, every hour and a half from 1 am and today he hasn't had more than half an hour's sleep at one go, mainly while lying on me. The wretched doctor said to make sure I slept when he slept, which would be fine if he would ever sleep! I have left him fussing in the carrycot at the moment because I just can't take it anymore. I keep hoping he will fuss himself to sleep but all he does is start sucking his hands again. Given that he finished an hour long feed 35 minutes ago I really don't think he can be hungry!

Sorry to go on. I am just so far beyond tired that it isn't funny. Thank goodness my husband will be home soon so I can hand Peter over and hopefully get some rest!

(Mari, we do swaddle him at night which does help. He isn't usually like this. Hopefully it is just the antibiotics I was taking for mastitis. I finished the course yesterday so hopefully we will be back to something more 'normal' soon. I hope so as I really can't take much more of this...)
  • Options
    Oh hun, im sorry ive got no decent advice-they seem to attribute everything to a 'growth spurt' don't they!!

Just to say you're not alone. At 5am last night i had dragged my duvet and pillow out onto the landing and was in tears trying to sleep out there as our little man is the loudest sleeper in the world-he grunts and moans ALL night long. I was so tired i couldn't see straight. I know it's a different problem but thought i'd share my blue night with you!

xx
  • Options
    Oh hun, im sorry ive got no decent advice-they seem to attribute everything to a 'growth spurt' don't they!!

Just to say you're not alone. At 5am last night i had dragged my duvet and pillow out onto the landing and was in tears trying to sleep out there as our little man is the loudest sleeper in the world-he grunts and moans ALL night long. I was so tired i couldn't see straight. I know it's a different problem but thought i'd share my blue night with you!

xx
  • Options
    Aw hunni sorry to hear you're having a rough time. My lo has had a few nights like that where she either constantly wants to eat or wants cuddles all night. She'll fall asleep on us but as soon as you put her in her moses basket she screams. We had tried getting into a bath, bedtime routine but after 3 days its gone out the window as she's been so upset today that we've bought the moses basket downstairs and have spent all day trying to console her, She's 3 weeks old and h.v just said its probably colic so we're muddling on. Wish i knew where the "newborn instruction manuel" was kept !! LOL
  • Options
    oh you all sound like you in desperate need of sleep, i now feel eally lucky Rubygoes down about 8:30 - 9 and sleeps till 5am, although i can not put he down between 3 - 7 in theafternoon which makes getting dinner for the other 4 kids hard as i am a single mum and i cant remember that last meal i eat other than a quick sandwich here and there, fingers cossed you have a better night tonight and that they start to settle soon

Mari
  • Options
    Well, we did have a better night last night, thank goodness! 10 to 2 then 3 to 5:45 which is what I think of as 'normal'. Hopefully he will have nap this afternoon so that I can join him!

Pixiebob, I know what you mean about noise. Peter sounds like a little grampus most nights but I think that he has caught my cold. At least, he has been sounding like an adult grampus with a stuffy nose for the last few nights. Sorry to hear that you have been driven to tears. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Mari, wow, you have your hands full! I am in awe. Hope you are getting enough to eat. We really do have to try to look after ourselves as well as our babies. I hope, as you say, that our los start to settle soon and allow us a chance to get our strength back!
  • Options
    I fing if my DS is not winded properly then he will wake more often or if his nappy is wet he fusses/cries. Infacol apparently is great for winding. I also use formula at night which makes him sleep longer and offer an ounce more than i do during the day. Some nights are better than others for sure x
  • Options
    Hollie, wouldnt settle untill we changed her forumla. now we have to wake her at nights for feeds. also we put a drop of infacol in her bottle to help bring up the wind.
  • Options
    Have any of you tried dummies? I know a lot of people don't like them, but I've found them to be a lifesaver. I was adamant that Zach wasn't going to have one but after a coouple of nights of him wanting to constantly suckle, on me, on hubby, on his hands, on our fingers , we tried one and it has made life a lot easier. Maybe if your lo's are wanting to feed often they are looking for comfort more than food?

Just a suggestion!

Cas