Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning....how much milk and food?

At the moment Millie is having -

7.30am - 4oz/ 6oz hungry baby formula
10.00am - about 10/15 spoonfuls of Hipp baby cereal
10.45am - 4oz/6oz hungry baby formula
1.00pm - 7oz hungry baby formula
4.00pm - about 10/15 spoonfuls of veggy based puree then if she's enjoyed it has about 10/15 spoonfuls of a fruity based one. She drinks sips of water from her beaker with this. Then about 4oz hungry baby formula.
7.15pm - 8oz Hungry baby formula.

I was just wondering what everyone else is offering. Millie will be 6 months in 2 weeks and I feel like were stuck in a rut now, im worried about her not drinking her milk if I offer her more food. I would like to offer her finger foods at luch time but not sure when to do it or what to offer her. I switched her to hungry baby formula as she started waking in the night hungry, after sleeping through after I had started weaning and she wouldn't drink more milk in one feed!

Any advice or reasurrance would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Options
    I'm having the same worries. I read that up till 12 months babies need a minimum of between 18 to 21oz. Amelia is the same age as millie and we're doing the following

7.30am - 2 tbsp fruit puree with either baby rice or porridge then 4oz milk
    11.30am - 2 tsbp of veg puree then 5oz milk
    3.30pm - Muller little star yoghurt then 5oz milk
    7.30pm - 8oz milk before bed

In the next week I plan to try and split the milk from her solid feeds (if that makes sense) to try and get her to drink more water with her meals. Milk will be more of a snack - The plan is

7.30 - Breakfast with 4oz milk
    9.30ish - 5oz milk before nap
    12.30 lunch - veg puree and fruit
    3pm ish (after nap) 5oz milk
    5pm ish - tea - veg puree and yoghurt
    7.30 - 8oz milk
    Then when she is older the milk can be replaced with a snack.
    Its hard when we first start weaning and I constantly worry that Amelia is having too much then I think she's not having enough!! I'm trying to let her guide me with how much she needs but I'm guessing once I split the milk and solids she will have little but often.

I'm really interested to see what everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    Hi i think it sounds like Millie is having plenty of milk. Spencer went from five feeds to four after he started purees so i started to give him 8 oz instead of 7 he started not drinking all of it and leaving a couple of oz and he wasn't having water either so i was a little worried. I changed the teats to fast flow and now he drinks all of his milk nearly all of the time and he has water to.

Spencer has
    8:00 Baby rice and then 7-8oz milk
    12:00 Puree and then 8oz milk
    4:00 8oz milk
    7:00 8oz milk

I think it's all a bit of trial and error as long as Millie is having 18-21oz or more then everything is fine, there bound to want less milk as they start eating more solids.

gem xxx
  • Options
    Erin-Beth has all her normal milk feeds plus 2 meals (and snacks) a day

times are approx but generally..

7am ... BF (then sleep till)
    10am...BF
    12pm..pureed mixed veg (equates to about 3/4 of a jar)
    1pm....4oz bottle
    4pm... 4oz bottle
    6pm....1 small mashed banana or jar of fruit puree
    7pm....4oz bottle or BF depends if ive steralised ready lol
    10pm..BF
    3am....BF

she has started to nibble on toast if i have some, or sandwiches and peices of fruit when the older girls have their lunch and whatever else i have she always has a bit of too...only cos she looks at me like she is saying "and wheres mine??" this is still on top of the above!!

She absolutely loves her food, and i'm enjoying spending the time shopping for all different varietys of fruit and veg as i didnt do any of this last time round..i make and freeze in advance but am only doing a weeks worth at a time now as she is wanting more and more and obviously the consistancy has changed over the weeks yet despite all this she only weighs 13lb15 at 23wks!

I did try breakfast but it threw her days out as she likes to sleep in till 10!! but am looking to try again soon..prob weetabix (i think they can have it from 6mnths)

She was sleeping thru from 8wks then wen she got to 17wks she started waking at 3am and has done everynite since, but takes a full BF so she must be hungry!

[Modified by: malakin on August 23, 2009 11:33 PM]

• Options
    im having bit of nightmare at mo with feeding. just before i tried lo with solids her milk feed decreased from 7floz to 5-6floz at a push. she now has either porridge or puree banana mid morning (couple hrs after feed) as tried food with milk and she wouldnt have it but takes bit more solids this way.shw has 4-5 bottles but seems to get bored of her milk which is why i started weaning.sometimes she just doesnt want to know though with the solids shes started waking in night as well thinking its playtime lol! would appreciate any tips and recipes as well please also what finger foods to try! thanks xxx
  • Options
    D&Bump are you useing the fastest flow or variflow teats on the bottles for the milk, some babies get bored of sucking out of the smaller holes xxx
  • Options
    Yeah I switched to the variflow teats, I use TT bottles and she now drinks up to 8oz of milk which she never would have done before I switched. I just thought she had gone off milk too! I also switched to hungry baby formula when she started waking in the night and with that and the faster flow teats, she has gone back to sleeping 7.30 til 7.30/8.30 again!

I tried Millie with some butter fingers of toast yesterday at lunch time when we had our lunch, Im not sure she actually ate any but she seemed to enjoy being able to feed herself and gave it a good old suck!

I'm thinking of trying her with a rusk but I know they are full of sugar so would only want to offer them once in a while, does anyone know of any healthier biscuit type snacks I could give her? i tried her with half a rich tea today which she really liked!! Think she could very easily have a sweet tooth like her mummy, so dont want to encourage it but she really enjoyed it! lol

Bx
  • Options
    sorry for late reply..

yeah she on number 3 fast flow teats and im using tommee tippee. im lucky if i get 5 ounces down her but i think it must be teething because she always trying to get hands mouth even when feeding. ive tried teething gel just before or during feed but does nothing. mostly shes happy but gets upset when feeding. shes not sleeping through now as well so not sure whether to take her to drs to just see if its anyhing else. xxx