Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

consistency of food

Hi girls,

Im abit confused about how meals should now be presented. Do you still blend at all or are the lo's eating the same consistency as you? eg,how do you present a roast dinner? Max can't chew meat at all (he's only got 2 bottom teeth through) so i tend to blend the meat with gravy, roughly chop the brocolli, crush the peas and mix them with the mash and then he had carrots as we do-sliced. x

Replies

• Options
    Wow, that sounds like hard work!

Daisy just has whatever we're having now. She can't have red meat because of her still terrible problems with reflux so that doesn't present a chewing problem. She copes well with chicken etc - I guess that's a little softer than red meat. Daisy also only has two bottom teeth completely through, although at least another two on the surface ready to pop - there may be more but I like my fingers too much to check! image

I would have thought that by about this stage, Max would probably cope with a more 'normal' consistency, although it may of course take him longer to eat! Daisy takes flippin ages to eat everything - I think she gets jaw ache from chewing! However, she never had puree because of the reflux complications that we had and so has always chewed her food pretty well. Sometimes her veggies are just too crunchy and so I might give them an extra blast to make them softer, but mostly, she copes very well.

Hope this helps
    C xx
  • Options
    Hi Pb!
    I tend to do the same as you. I try and give him things 'as they come' and see how he copes but sometimes I do mash it down a bit as well.
    Its hard when they don't have too many teeth but its alsoamazing what they can eat with such few teeth!!x
  • Options
    Hi Pb!
    I tend to do the same as you. I try and give him things 'as they come' and see how he copes but sometimes I do mash it down a bit as well.
    Its hard when they don't have too many teeth but its alsoamazing what they can eat with such few teeth!!x
  • Options
    Because of BLW Peter has never really had pur????ed/mashed food but recently he has been finding biting/chewing a bit frustrating. I've taken to cutting things like meat up quite small and offering the pieces on a fork. He then chews until whatever it is is soft enough to go down. If it is too big, he just spits it out, which is frustrating for all of us!
  • Options
    When I give Riley a roast dinner he pretty much has it as we do. He'll eat brocolli florets, carrot/parsnis slices and yorkshire puddings quite easily, I do give him bits of meat to try and eat himself but sometimes doesn't get very far with this so will also cut the meat into little bits and mix it in with his mash so I know he's getting some.
    If we have lasagne I'll cut it all up as well so its easy to spoon the bits of pasta into his mouth. x
  • Options
    hollies home made (that is frozen) food is blended down because everytime we get to the point where we gove her lumps she becomes ill and goes back to square one with weaning.
    however if she has 'normal' food like a roast we just put bits on her tray and she'll eat some (not alot though as its more fun to go on the floor apparently!) she'll eat lumps and food like sweetcorn and peas whole and also will bit things to make them chewable but put lumps on a spoon and she wont eat. i have a strange child....

• Options
    Thanksgirls. I think I'm going to stop any blending, I've been trying to make the food as easy to eat as possible because I'm so desperate for him to gain weight but I'm not doing him any favours so no more mashing, he's just discovered the joys of stabbing food with a fork so will chop food into jab-sized pieces instead!xx
  • Options
    Haha! I love the idea of jab-sized pieces. Peter is just starting to work out stabbing - although he goes for the table more than the food at the moment! :lol:
  • Options
    Hey mrs, with bella being at nursery, one day at xmas i was mortified that the bowl they gave her had turkey breast in and 3 small roast potatoes and brocolli floretws with gravy !!! and im like she wont eat that...but she just picked it up with her hands....heres me whizzing her food or mashing it...and all along shes been craving to get amongst lo......so now il like hand her half a banana to munch on, or say she has beans on toast il give her the toast to have and then spoon feed her beans, and if we have a roast i just put a little mash, carrots, mix the chicken with the mash lol, and il just give her a yorkshire to hold...it varys she loves jackets with cheese....cheesy wotsits, and raisons, and ive started giving her nutra grain bars coz she wont eat breakfast......i just try the odd thing on her tray, and let her either chuck it or eat it, but then some days she wont eat anything but shit to be honest lol.xxxx
  • Options
    Lol! They're not daft are they! Max was poorly over the weekend-a teething fever of 39.5, I offered him every food I had in the house-the only thing he 'managed' to eat was a biscotti!xx