Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

peeved!!

hi ladies

just abit of a moan really about my stupid doctors surgery.

i was due my 8wk check today which i booked 6 weeks ago. well at 8.15 this morning the receptionist phones me to tell me the nurse has called in sick and the next available appointment is 11th june!! i'll be 12wks postnatal then!! it's utterly ridiculous. i had an em c section so i was under the impression that my scar wld need checking before its 3 months old!!!! i feel so let down! and as i've been in pretty much a constant bad mood snapping at everyone and crying at least once a day since i had my little boy i was gonna try and speak to them about the possibility of me having PND or just general tiredness and stress, and now they cancel on me and i have another 4 weeks to wait. i explained this to her and asked if there was any chance of having the check done by a doctor and she said no, it has to be a nurse! i don't know what to do. i think its ridiculous to make me wait until 12wks to have a 6-8wk check done, and tbh, if it is PND how do i know i'll be able to cope that long.

the system is just crap and i do feel like i've been let down (tears again now) arrggg

xxx
Si????n & Austin (7wks5days)

Replies

• Options
    aww sweetie!! thats really crap! cant believe they are trying to make you wait that long, especially with the possible PND! image If it was me hun I'd just ring back and make an appointment with your dr (ignore useless receptionist!) and when you get there just stress the fact to him/her that you didnt want to leave it another 4 weeks!! NHS service is awful in some areas its ridiculous! If you really dont want to/cant make a drs app what about ringing your HV for a chat about the possible PND.....its really important you get some information/help ASAP hun as the quicker you get some help/have a chat about it the sooner and easier it'll be to feel better.
    Hope you get sorted hun.
    xxx

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 14, 2009 11:00 AM]

• Options
    BE ate my reply-again!!

The receptionist doesn't know what she's talking about! It so improtant to be seen at the right time espescially if you need a chat about PND.

Please ring them back, you and Austin deserve better treatment!! big hugs xx
  • Options
    thanks girls, i knew i cld rely on u for some advice. i went down to the HV drop in earlier as my HV wasn't answering her phone. had a huge chat with the lady there and quite a few tears too. i already feel abit relieved knowing that i've got the ball rolling and spoken to someone about it. she's going to arrange for me to have weekly chats with hv's so i can vent my emotions etc

i'm also going to take ur advice and make an appointment to se my gp, but might wait til next week now so that the receptionist doesn't suss what i'm up too. i think i'll also be making a complaint because i still feel that it's totally unacceptable to push anyones postnatal check back to 12 weeks.

thanks again

xx
  • Options
    BIg hug Siany. Your doing the right thing.Its none of the receptionist business asking what the appointment with the GP is for. Best of luck xx
  • Options
    Hi Siany,

I am having problems with my gp as well, i was given my pn at 6 weeksto the day but ruby only got her 8 week check up this week at 9 weeks and as she was my 5th i kind of knew what they were meant to do at them but the gp hardly checked her and i had togo see the hv to check i wasnt going mad, we are having a few problems i.e her cord hasnt all fell off yet, he never checked her head circumference and asmy 3rd child hadflat head sydrome itsimportant that it is checked regularly shes not following with her eyes and seemslike she cant hear everything,my hv has now advised me to change gp as they arnt giving us the proper care, thismakes me feel like i am not coping but deep down i know i am sorry for the ramble on

Mari
  • Options
    doctors they must all be the same. I was suppose to have my 6 week check on Wednesday ... which would have been 7 weeks.

I got down there to find that my doctor wasn't in and the replacement doctor doesn't do post natal checks. At the time I booked my appointment it was booked with my doctor and when he decided to take the day off apparently no one bothered to check what his appointments were.

They also wouldn't book me an appointment with him the following day because they only had book on the day appointments ... even though it was their fault I had a wasted trip

So I'm rebooked for next week when baby will be 8 weeks. On a Tuesday when I either have to take my 2 year old with me or find someone to have her because they couldn't do either Mon or wed when she would be at nursery

All of this followed the fact that no one in the surgery new how to register baby in the first place and that was a whole other drama a few weeks back.

Lets just hope they improve
  • Options
    what is t with these doctors!?

mari, i can't believe they didn't do the check properly, thats just otrocious! and i'm sure ur coping marvellously, it's the doctors that are cocking things up, not u. i agree with ur hv that u shld think about changing because over al the checks and things our babies have to come if they continually bodge them who knows what damage may be done.

and sarah, again, it's just down right rude and irresponsible for them to have let u get all the way there just to send u home. surely, a doctor is a doctor, they shld all have been to med school and so what if he doesn't normally do those checks he cld have at least given u the once over til u get ur official check.

Austins check is next week (when he will be 9 weeks) even tho i registered him at the gp when he was 3 weeks. then at 6 weeks i went in and asked why i hadn't recieved his appointment yet, to be told by the receptionist that they only do them at 8 weeks (same as their post natal) and then she said it's the hv who sorts it. i had to tell her er no love it's the dr! i recieved his appointment 5 days later, so they obviously didn't bother booking it til aftre i had queried it.

i really do hope they pull their fingers out and start doing their jobs for all our sakes

xx