Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning

Have any of you lot started weaning yet? I've been reading about baby led weaning which seems like a good idea but clearly I've been reading the articles that think it's great. I'd love to hear a balanced argument either way to see if I should be feeding mush or normal food.

Replies

• Options
    I'm hoping to try baby-led weaning with Peter, if we can survive the next 5 weeks. His feeding and sleeping patterns are currently all over the place, but I am not sure he is taking enough interest in food to make it worth weaning him yet. I am giving him a spoon to play with and he enjoys holding and sucking it and his high chair should arrive this week so we will be practicing sitting in that before I try him with any food.

I like the idea of Peter feeding himself and choosing his own food, as well as the convenience of feeding him the same food that we are eating from the start. It fits with the philosophy of feeding on demand for breastfeeding that has governed how I have fed him to date. But I am exhausted at the moment because of his erratic sleeping. I am off to the clinic on Thursday to talk to the hv, so we will see. I'll let you know what we decide, but I really am hoping that I will be able make it to six months and try BLW.
  • Options
    Well just this week Ive started giving Millie a bit of baby rice and some organic fruity cereal after thinking she wouldnt want anything other than her milk till at least 6 months! Things change quickly! lol

She loves it! I started off early....she will be 5 months on 3rd Aug because shes really gone off her milk feeds and just seemed to want something else and she eats it all up with a big smile on her face. I think Im just going to try and leave her on this until shes 6 months when Im going to switch to finger foods and a rough BLW system as spoke to my HV about it all last week and she said that should be fine, even if we do start to introduce a few fruit and veg purees before then it will still be ok to go onto finger foods from 6 months like you would on BLW. I am worried about choking though...although my HV assures me a good pat on the back whilst holding them upside down will dislodge the food...it still sounds scarier than just giving slop! Can see its probably better for developing babys eating habits though x
  • Options
    I've started weaning Amelia, she too is a big girl and I didn't think we'd make it through to 6 months. She's currently having a bit of porridge for breakfast and a reduced amount of milk. I did try to start her with lunch but she was having none of it but gets reaaly excited when I put her in her high chair first thing. We are going to try some banana tomorrow!!
    I think once she hits 6 months I will give her sticks of carrot etc but I really don't want her to be a fussy eater.
    She already tries to feed herself by grabbing the spoon, and generally making a mess but she loves it!!
    I'm going to give her another couple of weeks then I'm going to introduce lunch too.
    Its a really exciting time, don't you think
  • Options
    i know they say try and just feed them milk until they are 6 months but when i had my health visitor round earlier in the week she said thats its proving too late sometimes as speech terapist are reporting that children cant swallow propery and ar havin speech problems later in life. so looks like it might be changin again! just some advice - use your own initiative and dont believe everything you read, darren has been having breakfast for 4 weeks now and has just started havin a tea too and absoloutly loves it!!! ;\);\);\)
  • Options
    Each to their own, but I think it's quite important to wait until 6months to start weaning. The amount of children that I teach at school who have allergies to everything (and I mean everything) has increased dramatically over the past few years. Studies show that many children with allergies were weaned early, so for me, I'm going to wait! Like I said though, each to their own - and it's easy for me to say because I don't think Daisy-Mae will be ready until she's about 2 and a half!!!!

I will be trying BLW too around about when Daisy reaches 6 months, so I'm looking forward to hearing how other people get on with it!

C xx
  • Options
    We are also thinking of doing BLW. The main appeal being that I won't have to make seperate food and purees, something I was worried about fitting into the day. I have a toddler and it would be great if Nina could go straight to eating her meals with her brother.

My main worry re BLW is the nutritional aspect. When weaning Angelo I went down the traditional route and was very confident that he was eating lot's of lovely, nutritional food and, once the first stages were out of the way, a very healthy, balanced diet. From what I gather with blw, it would be up to Nina to pick and choose what she eats and would also only be able to eat what she can handle, right? For example, a hearty soup might be a bit difficult for a long time. Would it end up being more restrictive?

Also, once she gets to 6 months I would like to feel confident that she is eating enough so we can cut out the night feeds but would she still rely more heavily on her milk to make up for it if she doesn't eat enough during the day?

I'm not sure if these are legitimate concerns so would appreciate any opinions. Mumofgeorgia hope I haven't confused matters. x
  • Options
    Missymoo, I have the book on baby-led weaning so may be able to help with some of the questions you have.

The nutritional aspect shouldn't be a problem. If you offer a wide range of nutritional finger foods she will have plenty to experiment with and will get a taste for nutritionally wholesome food. Soup might be a bit of a problem, but, if you can stand the mess, stews can be eaten with fingers. The book is really helpful on the subject of how to tackle less obvious foodstuffs.

As for the milk, she would still rely heavily on milk. A lot of children won't actually ingest enough food to drop milk feeds until about 8 or 9 months using BLW. The fact that Peter is still feeding up to four times a night is the one reason why I am debating whether to go down this road or not. I really want to, but I do need some sleep for the sake of my sanity and my ability to care for him.

Anyway, we will see what happens. In the meantime, I'm happy to let you know what the book says if you have any further questions.
  • Options
    Thanks TheHistoryGirl, that's really helpful. Very reassuring regarding the nutritional aspect. I like the idea of stews and not too worried about the mess. Thankfully we don't have carpet.

Ok the milk side of it is a minus point to BLW for me. Hmm, I will really have to weigh it all up. Sorry to hear Peter is still up so often during the night. I totally understand why you are debating going down the BLW route in that case. It's so hard isn't it? Nina is up twice a night at the moment (but once is usually before I have gone to bed) and that's still too much for me.

Aw that's really nice of you. I do have another question..Is there a huge emphasis that baby eats with you? I will often grab lunch while the lo's are having their nap and we have dinner when they are in bed. She would eat with Angelo though, so hopefully that would be good enough, although I'm not sure he's always the best influence.x

• Options
    I am weaning ds now. From 17 weeks I gave him Bbay rice for a week at the 10am feed. I introduce a fruit or veg every 3 days. I ahve read so much about when to wean and found out that the guidelines changed to 6 months from 4-6months in 2003. It is very difficult when you have a baby who is on the top of both centiles to wait until they are 6 months. I am happy we have made the right decision to wean now. I also like way we can take it slow as his iron stores have not yet depleted. I will introduce finger foods as per the BLW at 6 months. He all so confusing but I think you have to look at your baby and instinct! xx
  • Options
    I also think it is important to wait until 6 months if at all possible. Breast milk or formula actually remains a baby's most important source of nutrition until a year. It is the most high calorie high protien source of food available (must admit, the idea that swallowing could be effected when you have to swollow to eat, whether it is liquid or solid, sounds like a story from a slightly crazy hv!) . It is ironic because I had no doubt in my mind that we would wait till 6 months, but Freya has silent reflux which is worst at 4-5 months (when they are taking huge quantities of milk) and gets better around 7 or 8 when solids are reasonably established. So, we are going to start early and mix stuff with milk. Since she is past the WHO minimum recommended age I will probably just wait another week until 5 months. We are going to do a mixture of purees and finger foods, after a little bit of baby rice. But I really need to do some reading about it all! I thought I had more time, so now I'll be reading in a hurry!!.

[Modified by: ally_e on July 29, 2009 09:00 PM]

• Options
    Missy, I tried to post a long reply earlier and was cut off, then had to get Peter ready for bed. Sorry for the delay.

Yes, the book does say that eating as a family is important but the really important thing is that they don't eat alone, so I am sure feeding Nina with Angelo would work. It is really about eating meals as a social occasion. Also it says that for the first few months, because they aren't relying on solids as their main form of nutrition, they don't need set meal times. Eventually they will develop a pattern and you can adjust mealtimes to suit, a bit like getting breast feeding established from the sound of it.

Oh, and I looked up the section on soup. They recommend soup with lumps that can be fished out, but smooth or thin soups can be eaten with bread or breadsticks as dippers. Also, some babies will eat off a pre-loaded spoon, apparently. We are currently giving Peter a spoon to play with to get him used to it.

Sorry to hear that Nina is still getting you up at night. Peter has only really been up four times for the past two nights but that is two too many for me! Also, it totally mucks up his daytime naps. Hopefully it is a very short phase that he is going through as I really, really want to make it to six months if possible (only 4.5 weeks to go...)
  • Options
    It's all becoming a bit clearer now thankyou! Although I am still undecided. Also need to get my head around not having set meal times. Especially with the social aspect, as Angelo has his 3 set meals a day. Very good idea to give a spoon to play with. At the moment I sit Nina in her bumbo seat on the table and she watches us eat, I should give her a spoon then aswell.

We like our soups so that's good news!

I downloaded the guidlines from the rapleyweaning website so will have a read. Not sure if there is too much info.

I do hope it's a short phase with Peter. I think it can be a vitious circlewith day time and night time sleep being messed up. Nina's first tooth has just come through and looks like the second will be any time now. She seems in so much pain with it so maybe Peter is teething too? Wouldn't it be perfect if they slept through...
  • Options
    Ive just started on baby rice this week and Evan is 19weeks. I was hoping to wait til 6months but after a week of him getting hysterical everytime i tried to bf him it was my last resort before changing to formula feeding. Im happy to say within a day he has gone back to bfing like a pro, which im so happy about. Hes back to being very contented and smiley so im relieved. I think the thing to remember is every baby is different, i do have two other lo's who where weaned at 16wks (that was the 'goverments guidelines' when they where small) and neither have any allergies, are rarely ill, and are happy, healthy boys. My only advice is listen to your baby, i knew deep down Evan was ready for something more but was worried about being judged by HV etc, which is stupid when i look back now, i wont be making that mistake again. xxx
  • Options
    i tried kayleigh with baby rice la few times and she just doesnt like it so gonna go back to fruity porridge because she likes that. i was unsure whether she should of had the porridge as i was worried about allergies etc but it says from 4 months so gonna give her that again. ive just started her at weekend just gone and she's 20weeks. she started watching me eat and now mimicks me eating bless and puts everything in her mouth. she seemed bored of just milk as well as she started messing around with it and also wakes more in night...well she kicks about more. xxx
  • Options
    I started Riley on baby rice last week as he's dropped the amount of milk he takes, think teething and reflux plays a part in that. I've been having to feed him to sleep a lot just to get him to finish his bottle.

I've borrowed Annabel Karmels books from a friend and he's had pureed carrot for the past few days, and I've just pureed some pears to start tomorrow.

xxD&Bumpxx maybe you could try Kayleigh with some veg like carrot or something as it probably tastes a bit better than baby rice. You could also mix a bit of the veg with baby rice but I haven't tried that yet.
    xxx
  • Options
    yeah kel im gonna do that.she loves the porridge and once thats built up then im gonna start on on carrot etc when she has the late afternoon bottle then introduce someting at lunch time. xxx