Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

stage 3?

hi ladies

just wondering if i can pick ur brains a little....

austin will be 9 months on the 21st and so far i make his dinners up to same sort of consistency as a stage 2 jar, but thing is far a while now he's not really even chewing that, he just sort of slurps it off the spoon now and it goes straight down lol (gannet lol) so i was wondering whether i cld try making it consistency of stage 3, but they say these are for 10months, so not sure really, he's fine with finger food and tbh only finger food he can't eat yet is chunks of meat (well he might be able to but i hjaven't tried yet)

so just wondered what u thought? i've looked at them and tbh they don't seem to be much lumpier bnut maybe i'm wrong and need to wait

hope ur all well xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I give my lo quite lumpy food, eg, if we've had spag bol I'll leave it as we eat it and she doesn't have any problems. If he's having finger foods I'm sure he will be fine. The only thing I really pop in the food processor is meat (except mince). Give him a go and see how he gets on
  • Options
    My health visitor told me at 6 months to stop pureeing things! I must admit I didn't take her advice completely, but Freya does eat reasonable textured food. She'll have rice, baby pasta shapes and vegetables chopped into small cubes and other lumps. I do still blend meat, but i add it in to the non-pureed stuff. I have a suspicion that they actually over puree store bought stuff because it makes it easier to eat and so seems like the like it more than the home stuff (sometimes). We've been giving the 10 month stuff for about 6-8 weeks. Why not try building up his lump level reasonably fast - I bet you'd be surprised at what he can manage image

Got to go give my non-sleeping baby a cuddle. She won't settle image
  • Options
    Hi

Well, since I started weaning Daisy, she's pretty much had whatever we've had.

She has quite severe reflux and would just projectile vomit everything back when we tried puree for the first few days. Spoke to HV who said not to worry and just give her whatever we were having - so we did!

If she's going to have any jars, I always get Stage 3, but also buy Stage 4 as well - which is teaching her to chew more... Can't remember when Austin was born, but Daisy is not yet 9 months (24th) and has been having the Stage 3 jars since about 6.5 months! She is really good with her finger food too, and has learnt the gag reflex thing well. I think it's actually really important to get them onto solids quite quickly - I have a friend who weaned early and her LO would gag on absolutely everything because she had puree for so long...

Give it a go - good luck!

C xxx
  • Options
    Is the difference between stage 3 and 4 possibly the salt content? I bought some stage 4 snacks but realised they were stage 4 because they had salt on them and not for any other reason.

Freya has got to the point where she won't be spoon fed unless she has some of her own portion to 'eat' herself (she has a spoon but uses her fingers and chews the spoon from all angles!). image
  • Options
    thanks ladies, think i'll start adding a few more lumps then. i mean what he has now is still lumpy (pasta rice, mashed veg rather than pureed) but its also rather sloppy at the same time if that makes sense....ally_e, i think also the stage 4 stuff can contain salt like u say, but also sugar and honey, but sometimes i think cos they can be quite brittle too so wldn't be easily gummed (the biscuits etc i mean) they don't sort of melt like rusks do and are actually quite hard, so prob don't dissolve or chew up as easy so more of a choke hazard maybe? i also do that for austin, what ever veg is in his dinner he has some on the trays, and he loves picking up and eating his own peas and sweetcorn as they're quite small he actually watches what he's doing rather than just grabbing random food and sholling it in lol. i've tried giving him his own spoon but he tends to just ram it in any which way and then throw it on the floor, i have tried guiding him with it but he gets annoyed with me lol.
    i agree mrs buttons, we went on to stage 2 before he was 7 months as he was coping fine with finger food etc so didn't see why not, and wanted to help encourage him to be able to eat textured stuff with out fussing over it.
    thanks again xx