Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO TheHistoryGirl and Pixiebob

Thanks again for your replies to my 'cutting the feed out' post girls. How is it going with you both? Hope your gorgeous boys are being good to you.

Well, I haven't got very far yet. The day I posted and was determined to do something about the night feed, Nina got a cold, courtesy of big bro. I've made a bit of a plan of action which is to try and cut down the amount of milk she has by only offering her one side (one boob!) then putting her back to bed after a little cuddle. At first she wasn't best pleased about not getting the extra milk but didn't take long to settle. After a few nights she's ok and settles back to sleep very quickly. The next stage of my plan is to replace her (now smaller) milk feed with water for a few nights, then cut it out all together, although not sure how I'll do that bit yet.

So, I really wanted your opinions. Tonight should be the night for water only and I'm not sure whether it would be best for me to go in and offer it to her and put her back to bed (for which I'm anticipating much resistance) or to send the OH so she's not reminded of the boobs? Did your oh's go to see lo's or did you do it?

I was also wondering what the earliest you will feed lo is?

Oh it's hard isn't it? x

Replies

• Options
    Meant to say if anyone else happens to want to join in please do!
  • Options
    Hiya missy. Sorry to hear about Nina's cold. Hope it is better. Peter seems to have them endlessly at the moment!

As far as water goes, I offered Peter his water when we substituted it for a nighttime feed. He complained bitterly, but once he realised that was all he was getting, he soon stopped expecting food of any sort. (I still had three or four nights of sitting with him while he cried, but by the end I wasn't even picking him up, just patting and shushing him.) When he was having the water, I put him back down as soon as he was quiet again and didn't pick him up again, just sat with my hand on his head. I also had myself wrapped in a huge and very thick dressing gown so my breasts weren't accessible and I hope it cut the smell of milk. (It was also absolutely necessary as it was freezing!)

He is now going through until 6/6:30, with a couple of brief squeaks every night but he now settles himself back. I would prefer a 7/7:30 wake-up call, but after all we have been through I really can't complain.

I hope the water trick works for you and Nina. Best of luck and lots of love to you both.
  • Options
    Hi hun,

I wish i could tell you that Max is sleeping through but he's not image. To be fair to the little fella he's doing really well, he's waking around 4ish and he does try to go back to sleep, he grizzles on and off and finally starts crying around 4.45. I try to settle him but if this doesn't work ,ive been feeding him no earlier than 5am-that's as good as it gets at the moment. When im back to work we'll be getting up at 6am so we've only got to push it back by another hour.

For over i week i didn't feed him until 6am but we were all ill with the lack of rest, he was waking around 3ish and not going back to sleep so we were totally exhausted. I think it would have eventually worked but i felt it wasnt worth our familys health so the 5am feed is good enough for now.

Im thinking of cutting this feed down by a minute every few days, see if i can get him off it that way but im not tackling it again until after christmas.

Hubbie and i did it in shifts-he leaves for work at 4.30am so did as much settling as he could then i'd take over. It's VERY hard to do it on your own so i'd say take it in turns unless your oh is ok doing it all, i definatley think our boobs being in the room makes it harder on the lo's.

Sending lots of love, let us know how it goes!!xx

• Options
    Hi girlies,

Well I was quite lucky last night as Nina only woke once at 11pm, before we went to sleep, and was quickly settled (probably because it was so early) by OH. She slept until 6ish so thankfully I was let off. All in all I feel we're getting there and she's doing really well. Just need to cut the night feed out once and for all and I'll be over the moon.

THG, fab that Peter is sleeping through. It must have taken a lot to get to this point but you must feel so much better for it. I agree 6/6.30 isn't entirely reasonable but hopefully he will start getting up later for you soon. I'm liking the tip about the big thick dressing gown. Lol, I think for Nina I may have to layer up and go in like the Michelin Man!

Pixiebob, thanks for the advice. We will take it in turns, if not getting OH to do more I think. It makes sense as she should then be used to both of us settling her in a non bf capacity. Sorry to hear Max isn't quite there yet. As you say, it does sound as if he's doing well and he's not got far to go. Saw your other post. Not that I'm one to give advice at the moment(!) but my plan of action is to cut down the milk , move onto water for a few nights, then move onto shushing and patting only. And then finally, if she's still waking up and I'm confident nothing is wrong, I would feel ok to try controlled crying. Let me know how things go for yoy to. xxx
  • Options
    So glad you had a good night, fingers crossed for more of the same!

Everythings on hold here-max had caught his first proper cold, he's Gita temperature bless him so I'll be feeding him if he wakes and doesn't settle back tonight , I've dosed him up with calpol so hopefully he'll get some rest xx
  • Options
    Ooh, good for Nina! Fingers crossed that she keeps it up. Pixiebob, I'm with you on feeding duty. Peter has tonsilitis and is now doped up on Calpol but will definitely be fed if he wakes. The doctor said to keep his fluids up and I know he will take breast milk but he won't necessarily take water. Plus, anything to make him happier, poor mite. He has been so miserable this evening.

Hope that everyone has a good night and that our poorly babes are on the mend soon.
  • Options
    Oh poor babies. So sorry to hear Max and Peter are unwell. Hopefully the Calpol will give them a restful night. I was advised to alternate Calpol and Nurofen when my lo's have been unwell and had a fever, which seems to help. x
  • Options
    Ah, poor peter-get better soon! It's been along day-he's never really been I'll before, I cancelled our arranged meet up with friends, he didn't want to play, didn't want to sleep-I wrapped him up warm and went for a walk but got as far as the end of the road before deciding it was way to cold for him to be out so I've been carrying him around the house talking/singing rubbish!

Thanks for the nurofen tip, will get some tomorrow if he's no better, night everyone! Xx
  • Options
    Hi there,

Just wondered how Peter is doing THG? Has the tonsilitis cleared up? Hope he's better and you are both getting some sleep.

Hmm, we're doing ok but not really completing my mission.Gave in to a 4am with Nina last night. Well, I didn't fight that hard at all to be honest. She has been so incredibily clingy (don't like that word but can't think of another) and seems to be suffering with seperation anxiety to an extreme I've never seen in her. Added to this, Angelo is not himself and was waking up last night so I didn't want to risk waking him up again. I wimped out!

Starting to think sleeping through may be a new year's resolution...xx

• Options
    Hey hun THG is on her way to newyork so may well not reply but im failing miserably if that makes you feel any better!

Its so hard now that Max is poorly, i can't not feed him as he needs the extra fluids plus i think he's teething. We didnt go out today as he was so upset (very clingy too, couldnt put him down) but im going to get some nurofen tomorrow-give that a go xx
  • Options
    Hey pixiebob

I totally understand what you mean. It's just bad timing really. I often think Nina would have been sleeping through long ago had it not been for the colds she's had. Ah well, I hope Max recovers soon and you have a better night tonight. xx

And lucky THG hey!
  • Options
    Um, don't know about lucky, missy! We've arrived safely but the time difference has thrown us completely for a loop. Peter has been awake since 4 and is now howling (it is 8:30 here). Looks like our sleeping patterns are going to take a lot more work after this!

His tonsilitis is a bit better, I think. Thanks for asking. But he still isn't very well and we had two days of him just wanting to sit on my lap. Clingy is definitely the right word!

So it looks like we may all be in the same boat for the moment. Hope all the los get better soon and get (and give us) some much needed rest.

Lots of love to all from the Big Apple. x
  • Options
    Oh no, nightmare. Well, glad Peter is better and hope he adjusts to the time difference soon. New York at Christmas sounds amazing so you have to enjoy every minute. Ooh you will get some lovely photos, I imagine. Enough of my excitement now!

Love from sunny Cyprus. xx