Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Trip to casualty this morn (also in baby)

Hi ladies, had to take my ds (nearly 12 months) to casualty this morning image he woke up at his usual time - around 7.15 - and as normal I left him for 5-10 mins to properly wake up.
During this time I heard him whinging a little bit then coughing, at first it sounded normal then it turned into a choking sound. So I ran in to his room to find him struggling to breathe and red in the face along with his bed sheet completely covered in sick.
I picked him up and firmly rubbed his back and he coughed up a piece of mushroom.
At this point my fiance had called an ambulance as we had no idea what was the matter.

Ambulance took us to casualty (he was sick again during the journey) and we were seen pretty quickly, however, we felt we were fobbed off in the end. The young doctor told us no to be so 'adventurous' with his food. All he'd had was a pitta pizza for tea the night before which consisted of a wholemeal pitta, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms and cheddar.

He was sick again as soon as we left the hospital but was back to his usual self in the afternoon, apart from the fact he wasn't very hungry.

I presumed he must have a virus or something to make him that sick but this was never mentioned at the hospital.
Is the food I'm giving him too advanced? He's never had any trouble eating anything we make for him and has never sicked up his food.

Thinking of seeing the gp/health visitor tomorrow as I feel there was something else the matter with him.

Any opinions of what our next step should be?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun. Sorry to hear about your scare. I'd definitely see your GP if you think there is something else wrong. Always worth getting a second opinion. As for being adventurous, it doesn't sound particularly adventurous to me. We had muffin pizzas tonight which are the same as the ones you served, except for the obvious substitution. Has he had mushrooms before? If not, maybe this is an allergic reaction? Anyway, I'd definitely get it checked out in a less pressurized situation than A&E.

Hope he is better now and stays so. Hugs to you both.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, I didn't think it was adventurous at all either. He has all sorts and never has any trouble. He's had mushrooms before but no reaction ever.
    Will make an appointment in the morning.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    It sounds like a vomiting bug to me. Freya had one a couple of weeks ago. She threw up in her sleep, and then violently again, and then about 4 more times in a couple of hours, and then on and off for a couple of days. It was scary when it happened - we were considering a trip to a&e too because she got very floppy, but she perked up a bit and we phoned my piedatrician uncle in the US just to make sure we didn't need to go! So, I'd say don't worry at all about having taken her and it not being as serious as it might have been. Better safe than sorry. I don't think the food sounds too adventurous, it sounds quite yummy.

Hope he is feeling better now. x
  • Options
    Thanks, was definitely a bug as myself and OH have now had it. Thought it would be obvious to the doctors that it was a bug seeing as he was sick 3 times and it was 14 hours after he'd eaten his pizza! I've come to the conclusion that the mushroom took a long time to digest hence why there was a large bit that made him choke on the way back up.
    Thank goodness it only lasted a day! xx