Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First appointment

Hello ladies!

I just have a quick question for you- I've finally had a letter from the midwife and I've not got my appointment until I'll be 14 weeks, and from the sound of the letter it's just going to be paperwork and not even the scan. Is that not quite late? I'm just wondering as the information booklet that came with the letter said that ideally the first blood test should be done before 10 weeks... I'm just a bit confused :? That and another 6 weeks seems a very long time to wait!

Replies

• Options
    That is late! I THINK the bloods for downs syndrome screening have to be done by 13+6, but I could be wrong - it's been a while since I had my son!! Also if they do NT scans, I thought they had to be done before 14 weeks.

I would ring the antenatal Dept at the hospital that you have your scan at & ask them to check!

And it is such a long wait to get to see your little bubs!

Ruth xxx

11+1
  • Options
    Just thought, they do triple and quads tests for downs syndrome so maybe the one at your hospital is the one that i didn't have & that might have a later deadline...!

I'd still ring to check image x
  • Options
    G/C but wanted to say I had my booking in apppointment at 10 weeks at the same time as my dating scan. 14 weeks does seem late, I thought you had to meet the midwife before your scan, do you have a scan date yet?

As for downs I had my blood tests this morning and I'm 16 weeks. Maybe its different in different areas!

I'd definitely phone and check or do you know anyone else in your area who's pregnant you could ask?
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, I took your advice and phoned the clinic and while the good news is that the scan will be done at the same time, apparently the clinic is fully booked for the next 6 weeks... Is everyone in Glasgow pregnant at the same time??? No fair, I just want to know everything is ok, and so we can start telling people. It's going to be a long 6 weeks image
  • Options
    In my last pregnancy I always had trouble getting appointments at a time when suited me and just had to make do with what ever. I asked my midwife why it was so hard to get to see or talk to her. I asked is there a baby boom?

Her reply was that no, it's just too many cherrys at christmas!!!!!

I was so totally offended, like she was suggesting that I (and these other ladies) only were pregnant because we'd gotten to drunk over the christmas period. Grrrr. In hindsight I might have been overreacting. image