Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

12 week scan question

Hello ladies,

Hoping those of you who have had your 12 week scans can help me. I got my letter telling me my scan is going to be on Friday- so excited! image But the letter says my appointment will last 2 hours image

I have already seen my midwife for 1 hour and all was fine, so what could possibly take 2 hours at the hospital???

Any ideas??

Xx

Replies

• Options
    G/C from DIS but with your 12wk scan date you will normally have your dating scan which itself will take 15-30mins dependent on how baby behaves/is laying. They will also take nuchal measurements for 'Downs' test at the same time so may refer you to blood testing afterwards. They will also send you to MW in antenatal assessment unit who will check your BMI and add it to your notes alongside your EDD. It may not last as long as 2hrs but you should allow for it with the wait times included.
  • Options
    Have you had your booking in appointment, with your bloods being taken etc etc, as if not, that's what else will be done at your scan appointment. I have to have two seperate appointments, plus a consultant appointment, which is a pain in the ass for taking time off work etc image x
  • Options
    i have my scan next Friday too, although where i am you had to book it in at the Hospital yourself so i haven't received a letter or anything stating how long it is going to be, better tell work I may be out of the office longer than expected as I know I deff am due for blood tests too!
  • Options
    Thanks for replies so far.

@ Kazzie and Lulee, I think I can see how it could take that long now, so at least me and hubby are prepared and can tell work how long we need off!

@ loops: my letter said 2 hours, or if you are seeing the consultant could last the whole morning or afternoon!! I'm sure it's different in each area, but you could give them a call and ask so you know how much time to take off work?

xx
  • Options
    I had my scan on Wednesday and what with delays and an awkward baby we were there just over 2 hours. I had bloods taken for nuchal testing too and my veins were co-operated so that delayed us too.

• Options
    First time round I was there for ages! Got taken in for my scan really quickly, but then was waiting in antenatal for ages to go in for my booking in bit and then blood tests. This time my booking in and 12 week scan were split up. Antenatal clinic hadn't got any quicker, but the scan bit was fairly quick- although had a student scanning me aswell image