Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone know much about VBAC?

I haven't got my VBAC clinic until sometime in November, which seem really really far away.

I really haven't been told anything about my chances of a natural birth this time round and what risks are involved etc. I feel a little lonely and badly informed! :?

Replies

• Options
    There are some good sites out there, and even going on the VBAC board on here is good. There are plenty of girls who've had successful VBAC's, and one I noticed who had a water birth VBAC not that long ago as well.

I'm hoping for VBAC too this time - fingers crossed!!

What was your reason for a section last time? x
  • Options
    undiagnosed breech and emergency c-sec as result. Laboured for quite sometime (got to 7 cm) before anyone noticed he was the wrong way round.... not very encouraging is it, you'd think they know these things... but I guess it was just bad luck.

What about you Lulee?
  • Options
    hello, i'm gatecrashing but thought i could help,

i went for a vbac this time but unfortunately my baby girl was in distress so they wanted her out there and then, i had my consultant appt at 14 and 36 weeks, the vbac success rate for my hosp was 68%, the risk of scar rupture is about 1% with natural onset of labour and 2% in induction of, these are from my consultant so i would hope they are accurate!,

there is no reason you cant have the labour you want but they will be more cautious and monitor you more closely that a low risk labour, i would have been allowed to go in the water if she hadnt been in ditress

take a look on the csection and vbac board theres load of success stories

good luck!
  • Options
    Good old failure to progress for me. I was in active labour for 16hrs - in the pool for 8hrs, epidural and then drip for another 8hrs, and moved a grand total of 1cm to get me to a whole 5cm!! I was just exhausted by then and knew there was no way I'd be able to push her out even if I did ever make it to 10cm.

I have no real problem if I end up having another section if its needed (better safe than sorry and all that), apart from the recovery obviously, but I was given drugs I'm allergic to as a suppository last time which knocked me out for 12hrs so I missed all the newborn stuff with DD which still really upsets me, so I'm determined to not have that happen this time. I *will* get my skin to skin!!! image
  • Options
    hmm yes drugs can be scary

I ended up having to stay on the ward for ages as they kept giving me diclofenac which turns out to have been responsible for my high blood pressure, which was why they wouldn't let me go home. As soon as I came off the drug blood pressure went down in just a day.... grrrr and I'd been kept there for a week!!

I know for this time not to take it. I made my midwife put it in my notes, even if she was reluctant to.... she seemed to think it was a coincident, but I think it is a scary drug, I read lots about it since.