Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby shower for no2??

is this weird? I didnt have one with my first baby and my mum said i should experience one as i said i dont want any more babies lol

if u were invited to a 2nd baby shower do you think you'd think it was weird?

id do it beginning of february as a kind of cheer everyone up party during the everyones broke and its cold and windy season image

(i'd invite my mum friends with their babies for my no1 to have some fun too)

Replies

• Options
    Hello!

Are baby showers a really new thing for the UK? Because I'd never heard of anyone having one up until a couple of weeks ago & this is the third one I've heard of! I like the idea of a get together & I wouldn't think it strange that it was for your second. Giftwise, are people meant to buy you a gift for the shower & a gift once the babies born? Apparently in America they just buy a gift for the shower (though my source for this is my dad so perhaps not the most reliable!!), the two I've heard about in the uk, this wasn't implied & gifts were bought for the shower but will also be bought once the baby has arrived. I don't want to sound like a meanie and I I love buying for a new baby but for these other two it did sound like anexcuse for getting more stuff!! And when I spoke to other people invited they thought the same so if I were having one I would clarify that!

But that aside, I think they're a lovely idea!

Xxx

PS sorry for long reply, am waiting in antenatal to see my consultant & am soooooo bored! How can they be running 45 minutes behind already at 9.15am?!!
  • Options
    haha my place runs behind before they open i swear lol!

i have only been to 1 and it was cool, lots of baby games and food.

I would probs write on the invite please dont feel pressured to bring a gift, we have a lot left from no1 and dont need anything, i just feel a bit sad i never had a hen do or baby shower, kinda want to have one image
  • Options
    I would love one and its my second. I dont think it matters how many babies you've had! I wont be organising one myself though and unless someone wants to surprise me with one I wont be having one image . I found it too stressful organising my own 30th and vowed Id never organise another party again!
  • Options
    Not odd at all - I'll be having one (as I didn't make it to my first - DS was early !!!). x
  • Options
    I had one for my ds and am hoping for one again with this one. I have been to 2 baby showers for 2nd babies so not odd at all.

Go for it!

• Options
    fab! so glad to hear!

i dont mind organising things, im terribly anally retentive and kinda enjoy it, i missed my calling as an events planner.

im currently in the throws of organising my babies 1st bday and its mental.
  • Options
    My friend had a baby shower for her second (she had one with her first too) and it seemed quite the norm! i love them, will deffo be having one even if i have to organise it myself! lol image
  • Options
    No I don't think it's weird. I didn't have one for my first. My friends had it all planned, but dd came 10 weeks early so I missed out. TTTC no 2 at the mo, and am hoping to have one second time around. xx
  • Options
    With my first my friends organised a surprise baby shower for me, and I should expect they will again with this one. I have been to loads I think my friends all just love an excuse to throw a party and buy baby clothes, lol. Regarding gifts I got loads at the shower and once baby was born I got a few bits but the main was at the shower, and I never exspected anymore, as I was really spoilt.

I think they are lovely, we had lovely food and games. I had my best friends and family there is was a great day.

I threw one for a friend last weekend, and this time we went for dinner and took gifts with us. Its just nice to have a get together before the baby is born and a good girl catch up etc. xxx
  • Options
    I went to one last night for my friends second baby...not weird at all and tbh it gives people a chance to hand out the presents then not bother the new family as soon as the baby arrives - they can wait to be invited round. I have one with ds and it was lovely, it made it so much easier to settle in on our own without people coming around with the excuse to give us gifts two seconds after we arrived home! Xx
  • Options
    thats true muppet,

i am gonna have one image and i'll organise it myself as it'll be easier.

i would love to see everyone before new baby takes up so much of my time i dont have spare lol
  • Options
    Rosie, when's your next scan date?! x
  • Options
    10th november for us, whens urs?