Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else got SPD?

Any tips??

I've had sciatica since the start, but last week I started getting pain in my pelvis too. I rang the midwife today and she said its the start of SPD. She said she'll review it at my appointment on 23 November but if it gets any worse in the meantime to go to the gp.

To be honest it's not bad enough to take painkillers at the moment, but its always there and it is worse in the evening after I've been chasing my toddler around.

Replies

• Options
    ME!!!!! I had it right at the end with DD, as well as sciatica, but I've had it pretty much from the start this time round, which is v. common on subsequent babies apparently.

Your MW should refer you to the obstretic physio - NOT the normal one, as last time happened to me who then refused to touch me because I was pregnant (did she think I might burst all over her?!?). They can help with realignment techniques and also give you a bump band to support the bump, which will really help as you get bigger.

Avoid swimming, as the leg action can make it worse. Warm baths help, and you can use the external heat pads on your back for the sciatica. TENS also helps for sciatica, as does sitting on a birthing ball to watch tv at night. x
  • Options
    See, I didn't get it at all last time round, so I'm not sure why I've got it this time.

I'll get the birthing ball out again, I loved sitting on it when I was massive last time and my dd will love it as well.
  • Options
    i dunno whats spd is... how is it diff to sciatica? i have this image
  • Options
    Can anyone with sciatica tell me what it feels like - think I have it but not sure - I have a pain right at the bottom of my back which shoots down my bum and to my leg - but only on one side - is this sciatica??

Is there anything you can do to help sciatica? When i mentioned it to my midwife, she said "backpain is just a part of pregnancy - deal with it" which wasn't very helpful! :?
  • Options
    thats what i have hun, ive heard its sciatica.
  • Options
    Sciatica (I think) is a trapped nerve - in pg presumably due to the baby trapping it - & can be very painful. I get sciatic-type pains like you've described but I don't think I actually have sciatica!

I had mild SPD last time during third tri but I've got it much worse than that already which worries me as I'm pretty sure it'll only get worse. I actually posted in my BE Facebook gp last night & got some really useful tips:

- legs together as much as possible (ironic considering the cause of the problem!)

- no more crossing legs even at the ankles - puts more pressure on the pelvis

- pillow between legs at night

- steps one at a time

- when getting into & out of bed keep your legs together & edge in/out

- kegel exercises apparently help lots (need to do!!)

- support belt - need referral to a physio who will fit this

- keeping your body centred, ie not carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder

- when getting out of the car keep your legs together & swing them round & out of car

I can feel mine getting worse everyday at the moment, I'm seeing my consultant two weeks on Thursday & so I'm hoping not to have to see a MW about it before that...

Hope that helps & I very much sympathise. These flipping babies image

Xx
  • Options
    great advice, sat here with my legs crossed!! wont do that anymore lol
  • Options
    Hello,

Just wondered if other SPD sufferers have a worse side. My right hand-side is far worse. I can take relatively normal sized steps with my left leg but only tiny ones with my right leg.

Just wondered if this was common :? ?

Xx
  • Options
    i have worse pain in my right butt cheek which radiates down my leg image it hurts to walk sometimes.
  • Options
    Left side worse for me- trust me to be different image lol
  • Options
    i dunno whats spd is... how is it diff to sciatica? i have this

Hello image

SPD is to do with the pelvis, it is where the ligaments that hold your pelvis together soften to allow you to give birth, but sometimes this can cause pain as the joint are moving too much... Does that make any sense?!

I've found sciatic pain is much sharper, but not as constant! Not sure which is worse!!

• Options
    Ruth - all good tips for SPD. SPD is pelvic pain, the only way I can think to describe it is like someone's given you a bloody good kick in your lady bits, right on the bone. Sciatica is like radiating nerve pain, from the small of your back, down your bum cheek. Lucky me, I have both, both on my right side. My SPD is starting to take my breath away at night when I try to turn over, or get in and out of bed.

I bought one of those full length pg pillows, so it supports my boobs, bump, in between my crotch and between my knees and ankles - makes a huge different at night, if a bugger to turn over with!!

• Options
    Good tips Ruth. Mine is going on and off at the moment and is worse on my left side - it sometimes feels like my pelvis is being pulled apart. And its radiating into my lower back too - midwife said that was to be expected.

Typically I've made an appointment with the gp this afternoon so I can ask for a physio referral without having to wait for my midwife appointment at the end of the month, but its not that bad today!!!
  • Options
    Typically I've made an appointment with the gp this afternoon so I can ask for a physio referral without having to wait for my midwife appointment at the end of the month, but its not that bad today!!!

That is typical! I'd tell your GP how bad it can be rather than how it is today - otherwise you can guarantee that as soon as you leave you will be struck by the worst pain you've had yet - sods law, very reliable!!

Just wondered, has anyone experienced pain in the inner thigh? I started with this last night, in both thighs, felt like a pulled muscle but in the exact same place. Incredibly painful. This morning it has gone in my left thigh but is worse in my leg, feels like pulling, wrecks if I put any weight on it at all. It's also accompanied by a sciatic-type pain. Don't know if it's SPD (now apparently PGP?), sciatica or something else!