Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

VBAC water birth? monitoring?

Just had my VBAC meeting this evening and it threw up some surprises.

No 1. I simply did not realise quite how monitored you had to be and the risks involved, so now feeling a little more worried than I was

No 2. I was told by my midwife that I'd probably be getting my wished for water birth. Lady at VBAC clinic looked like I'd suggested giving birth on the moon and also suggested that my midwife do some more training!!! So obviously a no-no. I'm gutted about that as it was the birth I had wanted.

Anyone here had a VBAC (have I already asked, rings a bell...)? Can you tell me how monitored you had to be as I realise everyone is different. I just know I have to wear some sort of belt and be regularly checked.

How mobile can you stay with that belt on? Lady was a little vague and always hard to remember what to ask when you are in this types of meetings.... feels a bit like they just want you in and out, so I couldn't think but remembered my questions afterward in the car!! Very helpfull!

Replies

• Options
    I've been told that I cannot have a water birth, or even be in the midwife led unit, I have to be in the normal labour unit. I will have a monitor strapped round my bump for babies heartbeat, as more likely to have problems if scar ruptures and is easiest way to keep an eye on both. Due to monitor you're limited as to how far away from bed you can move. She said you cant walk round the room, but can stand up next to the bed, sit on a birth ball etc, but pretty much that's it.

Sounds bloody awful tbh!! Although, realistically, you dont HAVE to have anything you do or dont want, its your body, and VBAC or not, they cant force you to have monitoring etc if you dont want it - hell, you can walk out the hospital and sod off home if you so choose and there's nothing they can do about it! Depending on how it goes, and how I feel, I may be stroppy and take off the monitor and ask for intermittent mw checks instead.

• Options
    oh no Lulee, it's sounding worse and worse. How can I have sat through that whole meeting and not really understood?? I thought she was making out I could still be walking about the room with that belt on!! Gutted :cry: so sad!