Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in March 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can we eat ice cream?

I don't want a soft Mr Whippy style ice-cream but a normal ice cream - are these safe to eat? I'm on holiday in Devon and have avoided ice cream so far but today I really would like one but don't know if they're in the foods to avoid or not?! Xx

Replies

• Options
    I know that Mr Whippy style ice cream is a no-no, but tubbed ice cream is okay. My sil had gallons of raspberry ripple ice cream when she was preggers and her little girl is fine. image

I had a scoop of icecream with the OH yesterday and he's super careful about what we eat and drink. We're just back from a few days away and the chances of me getting a burger before Bean arrives are not looking good!
  • Options

Ive not heard that you can't have ice-cream. Think you only have to be wary if its gone off.

• Options
    Just check it's pasteurised.... Sure it'll be fine x
  • Options
    Ooooh thank you ladies! Will be getting my much wanted ice-cream in about ten mins!! Sat on the beach so an ice cream is necessary!! Deeders - you'll have to sneak off and have a cheeky burger! Lol xx
  • Options

I have had homemade icecream at least once a week, (well, sort of home made, we have a few little ice cream shops near us, and our favourite restaurant does there own ice cream!) and when I think about it they will probably have had raw egg in, however, eggs are much better now thanks to lion marks, so I am not worried in the slightest!

I often wonder who french women go on with cheese etc, and italian women go on with cured meats, I doubt that they have the same advice there, and they have a much lower miscarriage rate in Italy!

I have had parma ham and blue cheese, but both times it has been cooked through, I am being slightly more cautious in that respect, as last time I didn't avoid anything, but  the mc has shaken me slightly. 

• Options
    As long as it's pasteurised you're fine. Mr whippy is out sadly but it's unlikely you'll find unpasteurised ice cream elsewhere. Even home made the milk would be pasteurised. I miss pate the most, and a nice rare steak!!
  • Options

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

If you have milk, drink only pasteurised or UHT (ultra-heat treated) milk – sometimes also called long life milk. If only raw (unpasteurised) milk is available, boil it first. Don't drink unpasteurised goat's or sheep's milk or eat food that is made out of them, such as soft goat's cheese.

Soft ice creams should be fine to eat when you're pregnant, as they are processed products made with pasteurised milk. However, if you have any concerns about eating these products, you might wish to avoid them while you're pregnant. 

always check with your health board not from an uninformed website.

if the whippy ice cream guy makes his own then avoid it. ask him if its made from UHT and in  cartons, and ask to see it to make sure.

avoid hard scope ice cream. if the they make it themselfs, as you wont know whats in it. also check if its made using pasturiesed milk or uht. there is a lot of dodgy ice cream vans out there.