Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in March 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can anyone recommend a baby book?

Hi

Can anyone recommend a book for new parents for guidance? What to expect, development stages, useful tips, bedtimes, feeding etc. Or even ones to avoid!  

I've been looking on Amazon and have seen What to Expect the 1st Year, The Contented Baby's First Year, Your Baby Week By Week, First-Time Parent and Your Babycare Bible.

There's so many though! x

Replies

• Options
    hiya,

Personally the contented baby and books like that are too regimented for me, but I do know some people who love that approach.

I bought (and loved) the baby whisperer. She advocates routine but doesn't dictate a timetable. I found most of what she suggested similar to what I'd been thinking I would do anyway. I liked having read a book as I was nervous about dealing with constant suggestions from experienced mothers, so I liked the fall back of"thanks for your advice but I have this book that I 'm trying to follow at the moment but if it doesn't work I'll bear that in mind" rather than "I know you have a dozen kids and I have none but I still think I know better than you" although if you have the guts to do the later you have my upmost respect image

I think midwives/health visitors still give out books which give you some guidance and normal development and some ideas for age appropriate activities.

Remember though, books and other people are great for a bit of guidance when you want it but every baby is different and you are the only person ho has ever brought up this particular baby, so what works for others won't necessarily work for you.

Pix x

ps I'm 2 days behind you so will be lovely to know how you're getting on x
  • Options
    Go to you local library and have a look through them all. I work in a library, and read pretty much every book going. Baby whisperer was quite useful as regards the order of things, but we pretty much went with the flow which suited us, and everyone always remarks on how relaxed and happy Ryan is so we must be doing something right!
  • Options

Thanks Tigerlily, stupidly I hadn't thought of the library! 

Thanks Pix. I'm not sure if I want anything too regimented as I don't want to feel like a failure if something doesn't go as planned! I think I'll go and look at the Baby Whisperer if they have it at the library. Hehe, no one trying to give me advice just yet, I'm sure it will come though. 

I do like books and info so if they can give a new mommy to be some idea of what to expect, that would be good image

Ooh, exciting. I'm getting on ok thanks. Not feeling as sick and hungry as I have been thankfully. Still feeling a bit tired though.  I've got some time off work at the moment and trying to get some things done before I get too big! How are you getting on?  Is this your second baby? x

• Options
    3rd, second baby just started school, think the idea of having time to myself scared meimage

I'm keeping ok thanks - still pretty pukey though. Keep thinking about being constructive and getting things done but to be honest on the days when I don't work and the kids are at school I just keep sleeping. Oh well they've only been back 2 weeks so maybe the novelty of being able to sleep all day will wear off soon and I can get stuff doneimage Glad your inmproving - maybe that means I will on Mondayimage

keep in touch

Pix x
  • Options

I;m interested in this too. Good advice about going to library, I've only heard about baby bibile. Look forward to reading some I have become obessed with buying magazines image