Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in March 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weight of 2nd + babies...

To anyone with more than one baby... How much heavier does 2nd tend to be compared to your 1st? Are they always much bigger or is that not true? Emma 20+4 x

Replies

• Options

Hi Emma, hope you are well.

I can proudly tell you that Samantha (my 1st) weighed 9lbs when born whilst Hannah (my 2nd) weighed 7lbs 12 when born & I carried both for exactly the same duration bar one day so 2nd babies aren't always bigger weight wise though if they are it is generally by ounces rather than pounds.  What you will normally see increase is the head circumference (though believe it or not this normally makes the birth easier) but again the difference is marginal.  HTH. Best Wishes.

• Options

Hi Emma, how you doing? Are you still suffering bad sickness? My sister's got 3 kids, the first was 8lb 11oz, the second 8lb 7oz, then the third was 10lb 1oz! Ryan was 9lb 12oz so i'm hoping this one won't be quite as big, hubby tells me everyone in the room gasped when they pulled him out (emergency c-section), a mw has already mentioned possibility of growth scans to me as they were surprised at his size. xxx

• Options

How does a larger head circumference make it easier?  Good post though I have been wondering the same, my first was 7.14 x

• Options
    My 1st was 3wks early and 6lb 6, 2nd was on time and 8lb 2 and 3rd was a boy, wek early and 8lb 10, third was the easiest and fastest to x
  • Options
    My first was born at 37w and 8lb2, my second was born at 40+5 and was 10lb1, my third was induced at 38+6 due to gestational diabetes and he was 7lb13! My third was smallest and best birth, complications, no stitches and 19days on i don't even feel like i have given birth! I was on a very strict diet tho and my blood sugar was well controlled. Hence the smaller baby! My 10lb baby was the worst birth. He came out easy enough but i had to have a blood transfusion! image

so in my case if diabetes wasn't picked up on i suspect Ds3 would have been bigger! X
  • Options

Hi my first was 8lb 14oz born with no damage to me and a three hour labour, she was big on all the scans. I've just had my 20 week scan wih 2nd one and I've got to have a test for gestational diabetes as the weight is on the 100 perentile and stomach mesurements off the chart! I'm not convinced I have it though I think I just have big babies!

Bigger babies aren't always more difficult to push out I think it just depends on position of how they are lying and also how you are built x

• Options

I had a GTT test with Ryan as my bmi was 29 then, plus my dad had late onset diabetes. Came back clear but he was still 9lb 12oz. They said his head was big at the 20 week scan so must have just caught up with it! xxx

• Options
    My first baby was a boy born at 41+2 and weighed 7lb 14 me second a girl was born 40+6 and was 7lb 9oz, number 3 a girl was also born 40+6 and weighed 7lb 8oz so all mine have been very similar! This baby is a girl so I'm expecting a similar weight again image
  • Options

To those who have asked about larger head circumference it is supposed to help speed up dilation (though I'm not entirely sure quite how, only that every mum I know has confirmed it was easier pushing out the baby with the bigger head?)