Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

just need a moan

Hello,

am feeling a bit down and just wanted a moan. As some of you might remember, I had a foster son living with me who I had looked after for 4 years. He was well and truly one of the family. To cut a long story short, his social worker decided he was going to be a danger to our baby (based on no evidence whatsoever) and took him from us.(we have since been told that he was removed because it was cheaper to have him where he is now which makes us REALLY mad). The last time we saw him was the day after Ella was born but none of us knew this would be our last time.

We miss him so much and feel like we are grieving the loss of a child. It doesn't help that we know he is really struggling where he is and is very confused (he's only 8). The whole thing is just so cruel and unfair. Just can't believe that the people who are supposed to be looking out for him are the ones that are causing all his suffering. I now feel guilty because I love Ella to bits but am missing our wee man so much. I almost feel like I shouldn't be allowed to be happy when he is so upset. I know there is absolutely nothing I can do to change things but I can't help it. Everybody keeps telling me it will get easier but I just wish he was still here.

I know there's nothing anyone can do to help but really needed to get this out. We will tell Ella all about her 'big brother' when she's big enough. People are scared to mention his name incase it upsets us but this is worse to me. I want to talk about him but I think it's too weird for other people.

Sorry for the rant.
xx

Replies

• Options
    Oh Shons that's soo sad. I don't have anything useful to say but didn't want to r&r. Will they let you have contact with him?

xx
  • Options
    thanks Ellisy,

we haven't had any contact yet and it's unlikey we will. The longer it goes on, the harder it is for him and we don't want to do anything that will make it worse for him. Hopefully we will still be able to write to him at least and he will know we are still thinking about him.

[Modified by: shons on September 24, 2009 03:02 PM]

[Modified by: shons on September 24, 2009 03:03 PM]

• Options
    This must be so difficult for you. Do you have no rights at all to access? (I don't know anything about fostering, but 4 years is a long time to have someone in your life and then be taken away, it seems so cruel for everyone involved if there's no good reason for it)

Poor mite, surley the stability of you/your family and your home would be a good thing for him (obviously cost are more important to the Government than the happiness and well being of foster kids/parents) They're always crying out for foster parents, this must put you off doing it in the future?

I don't have any advice really, but we're here to listen to you moan.xx
  • Options
    Oh honey....I have tears in my eyes reading your post.....bigs hugs from Emily and I x x x

Louise and baby Emily x
  • Options
    Oh sweetie what a horrible wrench for the whole family. Not gunna go on a rant about the heartless pennypinching government we have as I'm sure you've thought it a million times ,but wanted you to know that I'm really saddened for you and especially your boy.
    I really think that you not contacting him is one of the most wonderfully selfless things I've ever heard. You are putting his future in front of your own needs, in fact youre being a mum. Keep strong missus and all I can offer is tons of hugs to youxxxxxx
  • Options
    thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'm constantly trying to make sense of it all and I just can't. I will never understand why he was removed from a very stable home that he felt safe and happy in. Sadly we have no rights whatsoever because we never had parental rights. The fact we are mum and dad in his eyes counts for nothing. I could rant all night about how unfair the whole system is but it won't bring him home. I need to put together a photo album for him which is proving very hard - just so many memories. We are focusing on Ella just to keep us sane. We are so thankful that she does not seem affected at all by the stress, she really is fab.

xxx
  • Options
    Ella is one very lucky young lady to have such a wonderful mummy and no matter what your young man does in his life there will always be a piece of you that he carries with himxxx