Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mooncup

Well after exactly one year to the day of no af she has shown herself on the same day she didn't turn up last year. I'd already bought my new mooncup but now I've had to get it out the box it's reminded me to let you all know how fab they are.

In case you haven't heard of them- I hadn't until my best friend started raving about hers a few years back...my initial response was most definitely no thanks but after intrigue got the better of me I was quickly converted! They are a reusable silicone menstrual cup that basically you fold up and put just inside your vagina, it collects all
the blood inside then you just take it out, tip the blood away, rinse and replace. At the end of each cycle you thoroughly wash and sterilise then store in it's little bag until next time.

I'll be honest I'm not the most environmentally friendly but they're much better for the environment, but more importantly for your
pocket!! Yes they're not cheap, about ??17 I think (boots) but that's it for years, much better than towels or tampons every month. Even without that they are so so comfy, I hate towels but wouldn't wear tampons at night, but honestly I'm less aware of the mooncup than I ever have been off a tampon and best bit, because they've never been associated with TSS you can use them overnight!

Sorry to be so random and if it's tmi but they're too good to keep to myself x

Replies

• Options
    thanks for the info, i've heard of them before but not sure i could cope lol. I just use towels at the moment, I had a bit of a traumatic birth experience and even the thought of tampons at the moment is too much to contemplate image

My AF was exactly a year late too - how weird!! xx
  • Options
    Mmmm not sure I could cope with that idea either - sounds a bit messy to me (as if it isn't enough already!) lol.

Am liking the idea of an IUS as contraception as apparently AF's quite often stop completely using it and that sounds good to me!!

• Options
    I've always been interested by the idea of a mooncup and think I might get one while I'm over here. I've not seen them or heard anyone mention them in Spain.
    Are they hard to get the hang of? I can't abide towels and never use them but don't really get on with applicator tampons either so use the non-applicator type (think I'll shut up now, tmi-ing!).
    xxx
  • Options
    It does take probably one period to get the hang of it probably but once you do it's so easy. I would definitely recommend them (hence the way tmi post lol). Only thing is now might not be the best time to start trying...I've had to dig out the old tampax as although I bought the size A (post-giving birth) it wouldn't stay put properly, wake up call for pelvic floor exercises me thinks
  • Options
    Hmm, I wonder if the same is true after a c-section like I had?
    Anyway I'll get one and see what happens! I was doubting about the size as I'm 30 end of October and have had a baby.. but size A is for over 30 and after giving birth which I did but not, you know, that way! lol
    xxxx
    xxx
  • Options
    Hmmm, good point forgot about that. Tbh I'd prob say get an A as to me there's no obvious size and better bigger than too small. I know it sounds wrong but you will love it! x
  • Options
    hah! It does sound a bit wrong, doesn't it!!
    xx