Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Burping Baby Question!

Hey ladies

I'm really struggling to get any wind from lo (1 week old) - which would be fine if there was no wind but I suspect there is some as there's plenty of tummy gurgling and when I then put her down to sleep she brings up a small amount of milk almost every time - even if it is a good 10 minutes or more since I fed her! Is it possible she's just not a windy baby really and it's fine that she doesn't burp appreciation after a feed? lol. She's formula fed btw.

I've tried various positions, sitting up, on my shoulder, her lying across my forearm etc, but nothing seems to work and she just nods off!

She keeps getting hiccups too, although she did inside me too so maybe that's just normal for her?

Honestly, all the things to fret about and she's soundly asleep oblivious!! lol

xxx

Replies

• Options
    we have the same problem with our little man. He hangs onto his wind sometimes for over an hour, his daddy has knack of getting it up but it can take ages. We're using infacol at the moment which has really helped him get it out, was really hard to see him hurting before that. So if your lo isn't looking like she's in pain maybe she is ok and not very windy. we're now on formula too and have found stopping a few times each feed to wind hime and sitting up has helped loads.
    Zaven also gets hiccups loads! we've been told they are nothing to worry about and although he seems frustrated at times it doesn't seem to bother him too much.
    HTH.xx
  • Options
    same here with the gurgling noises but midwife says its normal his dad is good at getting his wind up though also the hiccups all the time. so i think its normal means all is woking properly hey
  • Options
    i was told that breastfed babies rarely get burpy wind but are very farty (true for my little Miss Thunder Guts) and formula fed babies tend to have more burpy wind and less of the other. Izzy gets terrible hiccups too, several times a day x
  • Options
    Aww thanks ladies - that's put my mind at rest image

It's so hard watching her when she has the hiccups bless her and because of her not burping up wind I thought it might be connected but perhaps not - maybe some babies are just more prone to hiccups too.

Her dad has a cold at the moment and is really sad as he's having to keep his distance for a few days - when he's better I'll get him on winding duties - maybe it's because men have bigger hands??? lol.

Will remember the infacol tip if she starts to get affected by the wind, thanks lilbean x
  • Options
    Ryans definitely got the thunder pants! And he gets hiccups so often...frequently interferes with our latching on problems.

He does sometimes seem to be suffering with wind but never brings anything much up, starting to wonder if it could be reflux as he's always much happier being held or sitting upright x
  • Options
    have you ladies tried laying baby on his/her back and pushing their legs up towards their tummy. i used to do this with my little boy and found it quite affective. if there is wind i found it came out one end or the other doing it like this image x x

40+1 still waiting
  • Options
    I have the same problem. Leo either gives it up straight away or not at all! Can tell he's got wind as he grunts and strains and does that smile wind face!!
    I've started using gripe water in his feeds to see if that wil help
  • Options
    I know lots of people that swear by gripe water - but I think they need to be 4 weeks before you can start using it - so you have the advantage of us arlik ;\)
  • Options
    we have the same it seems it must all be normal if so many are experiencing this. We used infocol this morning and its amazing how quickly it worked. Now just worried about constipation one thing after another hey!