Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What is reflux?

Hi ladies

My understanding is the reflux is a combination of sickiness, baby struggling to feed, excessive crying... is this right?

My lo in my view is over-eating maybe, she's having a good 35-39oz a day and has been quite sicky as a result (15 weeks) - the HV said some babies are just sickier than others and as long as she's feeding and gaining weight it's fne and just excess milk being expelled.

Today I am going to try to give her 6oz bottles rather than 7oz bottles to slow her down a bit and see if she's just being greedy and manages ok (not going to starve her though!).

Thing is I am worried I am missing the signs and that she may actually have reflux? This morning she was sick all over me and there was quite alot of it - she'd just had 6oz and at 6am when she woke she had had 7oz.

So far I've just assumed it's fine and she's gaining weight, feeding well and is happy in herself - but am starting to wonder whether I'm being too relaxed about it?

Sorry to ramble !!! Hope it makes some sense!! lol

x

Replies

• Options
    Reflux is acid coming up and burning, where the oesophagus doesn't close suffiently) which in turn can make baby sick. If your LO has reflux they will cry in pain, fuss at the bottle/ breast won't settle laid down after a feed, can go rigid and refuse to be winded, and is happiest upright. When reflux isn't controlled it can affect weight gain because they can become reluctant to feed. TBH I really don't think your LO has reflux, she's maybe just downing her feeds too fast x
  • Options
    Not sure I can help out a lot but we took Isabelle to the drs because she was sicking up a lot after feeds, and was squirming and crying while feeding quite a lot (not every feed) which was quite upsetting as she was obviously so uncomfortable. The Dr diagnosed reflux and gave us infant gaviscon which did seem to help but she still throws up quite a lot after feeds - I think she's just a sicky baby. Like your HV, the Dr said that as long as she was gaining weight not to worry too much about it as she is obviously taking enough food, even with the sickness. But the squirming and crying has stopped which is the main thing! x
  • Options
    Sophie has mild reflux and has good and bad days. Essentially it is stomach acid coming out of the stomach and into the oesphogus, sometimes bringing food with it. Same as some of us had in pregnancy. Her symptoms are arching back whilst feeding, crying whilst feeding, sometimes being in obvious discomfort, crying for no obvious reason, having a little cough and regularly bringing up partially digested (separated into curds and whey and it smells) feeds hours after being fed (different to usual posseting).

It can cause babies to loose weight or not gain quickly, but thankfully that hasn't happened.
  • Options
    Aw thanks ladies, that's really helped xx

I think based on this she might have very mild reflux as she matches some of the symptoms, but not enough I think to source any medicine for her as she takes the feed ok and still has naps ok - she only really cries when she's hungry. So far today I've been giving her 6oz bottles and she seems happy enough (we'll see if she wakes up hungry at 2am!!!!) - although she was sick all down me after her last feed but then I would call this posseting rather than sick of the smelly variety... I might try to feed her a bit more upright as this might help too.

People must be too polite too mention that I often smell of baby sick! lol

xx
  • Options
    Well she didn't wake at 2am thankfully she woke at half 6am!! lovely jubbly! A 6oz bottle wasn't enough as she'd slept so well so I made up another one thinking she could have another oz and because I drifted off to neverland she had another 2.5oz so 8.5oz in total! lol - and then nodded off again and is still sleeping now at 9am.

She had about 31oz yesterday and seemed ok and slept well so I think I may give her the bigger bottle in the morning and at bedtime and stick to 6oz in the day and see how we go - I'll see if she's less sicky on 30-35oz as opposed to when she's guzzled down 39oz!

• Options
    So glad I saw this post (thanks Apple Pie), it made me realise that LO has got reflux so i took her to the doctor and he gave infant gaviscon. Its brilliant! The sick has stopped, she is happy to lie on her playmat for more than 2 mins and the coughing has stopped.

Yay a happy baby!
  • Options
    Aww glad it helped someone else too yummy and that your lo is doing better xx

Since reduing lo's feeds during the day she's been fine and not sick at all so I think she was just being greedy!! lol. She was always fine other than the sickiness so think I can outrule reflux and she does cough a bit but I'm so far putting that down to her dribbling more and making noises and then needing to clear her throat.

Having said that I sometimes think her chest sounds rattly when she's sat up - just once a day maybe - so I may get her checked out anyway x