Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

eczema is a pain in the bum!

phoebe has got eczema, how annoying!! archie had it as a baby really really bad so i took phoebe to the docs this morning to try and get it under control before it gets any worse raaaaah! so now i yet again have all the bumffff for it in the form of oilatum lotion and the bath stuff too but i know its going to need another trip for steroid cream in a few weeks as that was the only way i could bring archies under control. does anyone else have a baby with eczema? archies still gets the odd outbreak but luckily he shares a bath with phoebe and they can both use the bath additive so that should keep his at bay. so strange as neither me or hubby suffered with it, i must just give birth to rashy babies lol!xx

Replies

• Options
    I can empathise!

Jakob also has bad skin - I'm not entirely sure it is eczema though as it currently just looks like dry skin...
    Over a month ago he started to get really raw looking red patches. First just on his hands and wrists which I thought were from him sucking them all the time, but then they spread to the rest of his body so the HV thought it must be eczema and prescribed us some bath stuff (Balneum) and Aqueous cream. His skin got worse though and a different HV 2 weeks later said to show him to a doc, who then prescribes Hydrocortisone cream which made it better. However, now it just feels rough to the touch and looks kinda flakey. Taking him to the baby clinic next week to see what they reckon as I don't want to keep applying the steroid cream if he doesn't need it.
    At the moment we are too scared to take him swimming and always cover him up completely when outside as I don't wanna risk him getting worse from the chlorine and perfumed sun protection creams....
    What a pain the bum indeed!

Neither my hubby or myself, or anyone in our families for that matter, have eczema!

My sister sent me a few bits from Germany which her HV recommended and the bath stuff we use now at least smells more pleasant! image

Jana & Jakob 17+6 xxx
  • Options
    Poor Archie and Phoebe! I can totally sympathise with them as I have awful skin with constant dermatitis and psoriasis. I hope Corynn has inherited her Daddy's skin!
  • Options
    ask to try oilatum next time, its good stuff, it feels really thick when you apply it, it worked a treat with archie but i had to also use hydrocortizone with him to innitially clear it up, i reckon il have to do that with phoebe too as from experience that was the only way to clear it up in the first place. the bath stuff is great though, i use it for both. my jaw dropped when i saw how much it is to buy if its not on prescription though- ??10 for the small bottle, we got prescribed the massive one!! my doc was good though, i told him i felt guilty about weaning archie at 4months as i thought that had something to do with it but he said not to worry, there is no set in stone evidence that its linked to food in any way shape or form, and even said to give phoebe more cooled boiled water to drink as hydration is the key.x
  • Options
    I feel your pain! Fingers crossed Sophie hasn't got eczema yet, but I have suffered with it on and off so I'm fully expecting her to get it at some point.
  • Options
    Darcey also has eczema - it is a nightmare to control. My doc wouldn't prescribe anything and even told me to put johnsons baby cream on her - err I think not!

I use Oilatum on her and pay full price for it. These babies are a very expensive business!

Interesting about weaning though, as my doc said that weaning would likely help it. But after the Johnsons advice im not sure i believe him...
  • Options
    Yummymummyali- you really must go and see a different doctor! It is awful that you are paying full price for the Oilatum.

I sympathise with all of you, my 3 year old has had eczema since 3 months and we went through so many potions/ lotions until we found what works for us. We always use Oilatum plus in the bath and hydromol at least twice a day. When it gets out of conntrol we use hydrocortisone. His skin is so much better now as he is getting older and the doctor has said he will likely grow out of it. I thought DD might not get it but she has got very dry skin so I am using diprobase regularly and oilatum in the bath. I'm hoping we should keep it under control with that but we may need steroid cream if it gets worse.

My doctor also said it is very unlikely to be food related even though we weaned DS at 4 months and DD is still EBF at 18 weeks.

My main advice would be to keep trying different creams as different babies seem to respond better to some than others. X
  • Options
    Dillonsmum - your right, im going to speak to a different doctor!

Can I ask what you use to wash LO in (body and hair)? I have started using Little Me lavender and camomile, which doesn't seem to aggravate her skin.
  • Options
    Gatecrashing - please try Dream Cream and Dream Wash from Lush!!! It is the only thing that calmed my boys exzema! The problem with all aqueous bla bla bla creams is that they just create a layer on the skin and dont let it breathe! So it doenst lose moisture, but they dont actually moistrurise or add anything good to the skin! Dream cream contains all kinds of good oils and so on that are great for nourishing skin and moisturing it - and it smells fabulous! And is absorbed really quickly!

The dream cream is 10 quid a pot, but you can go in the store and ask for a sample if you wanna try it out first. I have heard from loads of other mums who ve used dream cream as well and it has worked wonders!

I at first used it at like every nappy change, and then maybe 2 times a day, now at 2 years old his eczema is practially non existent, so I only use it if he has a flare up.

Also pleaaaase steer clear of things like Johnsons body washes and so on, they all contain parabens, parfums etc etc, better spend a bit more and use organic baby care ....

Hope your babies re growing well! xx
  • Options
    Would you believe.. that exact one. (the little me lavender wash)Although I only wash DS hair with it once a week and use diprobase to wash his body, I have also used aqeuous cream in the past, I don't use anything on DD. On the side of the Oilatum bottle it says you don't need to use any soap so I just wash her with the bathwater.
    It does mean that they never smell of perfumed baby products but somehow they still smell lovely to me!

[Modified by: Dillonsmum on September 08, 2010 10:14 PM]

• Options
    i just use oilatum bath for both my kids, i dont add any bubbles or anything. and as for hair, archie uses johnsons and phoebe is currently using dentinox shampoo for her cradle cap, which is working nicely, ses looking a little less scabby! fooxoo, i would never in a million years have thought of trying something from lush for kids because of the smell of the shop hehe! but im actually quite intrigued now and i might get some next time i go shopping! u expect everything to be highly perfumed from there but then again, its mainly all natural stuff isnt it? hmmmmmmm i really want to give it a go now!x