Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does anyone else's baby

learn a new skill and then not bother doing it again?

Sophie for the last couple of weeks has been rolling like mad, but since yesterday won't even entertain the idea. I could put her down on her back and she'd be all over the place, but yesterday and today she is just lying there watching everything and chewing her hands (her gums are bothering her). She did this as well with her cooing. That started at about 9 weeks and then after about three weeks she lost interest in it (probably to concentrate on rolling, as she started trying that at about the same time the cooing all the time stopped. We got the cooing back again, louder and more vocal last week, so she hasn't forgotten how to do it.

Anyone else's do this?

Replies

• Options
    Ava's not doing The same things as Sophie but she was sucking her thumb in the night instead of requesting the dummy at about 3am but the last few nights she seems to have forgotten and is asking for dummy again!
    She's not even attempted to roll really, maybe a little a while back but nothing since! It's all normal, Sara did similar things, it'll all come together soon, I think they just get distracted by new things! Xx
  • Options
    I've just been watching her, and she's settled herself to sleep on her playmat. She did that twice yesterday as well so I'm really hoping that's her next new skill! That's so much better than rolling!
  • Options
    Jakob also seems to "forget".
    A few weeks ago he managed to lift his bottom up and then move himself towards the left so that twice he ended up lying sideways in his cot - but he hasn't done it since!
    For all of 1 week he sucked his thumb instead of his dummy, but hasn't done it since! Now he doesn't even like his dummy anymore...
    He also went off his cooing, but as of the weekend he is VERY chatty which is soo cute!

So maybe like you said, they just get distracted and concentrate on something else for a while...
    He hasn't shown any sign of rolling yet though image

Jana & Jakob 17+6 xxx
  • Options
    Ryan was trying so hard to roll, but the last few days has given up and learnt to scream! Not crying, just yelling so high pitched and loud over and over!
  • Options
    Yup, exactly the same. Isobel was rolling both ways happily for ages and now she hasnt done either in over a week. Her new 'skill' is thumping her legs down on the mattress throughout the night and waking herself up. I cant wait for her to forget that one xx
  • Options
    Evie has rolled once, and that was weeks ago. She hasn't done it since. In fact she hasn't even tried!
  • Options
    Ditto, Corynn learns new noises every day and then doesn't bother with them again! Yesterday it was blowing raspberries but she hasn't done it at all today. We've had no signs of rolling either, but she does try to sit up all the time!
  • Options
    Good, I'm glad it's not just Sophie!