Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Rejection of the Ladyboobs :(

Ladyboobs courtesy of Pumpkin Pie image

So Sam is 17 weeks tomorrow and for the past week he has been going through phases of refusing to feed from me... to the point of him screaming while I try and get him to feed. HB says "just hold his head there" but its physically impossible. Then when I express and give it to him in a bottle he gulps it down (e.g. he just drank 6oz of expressed milk). Clearly its easier to drink from a bottle and now he is getting lazy. Luckily he still feeds from me ok at night so its just during the day, bit its a total pain. I must say its made me feel very rejected image

I go back to work in three weeks time (sob) so I guess I should be glad that he will take a bottle. And he now takes formula although it seems to make him constipated. Two steps forward, one step back.

I am going to start giving him food I think... would love to be able to drop one of the two night feeds.

Bryony & Sam (16+6)

Replies

• Options
    Archie has been a bit fussy recently too and it really upsets me!!! It took us weeks to establish feeding and now he can't be bothered sometimes!! He screams and throws his head back and I end up expressing and hubby feeds it to him in dribs and drabs as I'm sat there madly expressing! It tends to me when he is over tired.

Regarding the weaning, I think I may introduce some baby rice at 4 months (Archie nearly 12 weeks) as I really believe he isn't getting enough from me in the evenings and is consequently very unsettled for a large part of the night and thats even with formula top ups now and then!

I so know what you mean about feeling rejected, I feel the same! x
  • Options
    (yay for the breasty ladyboobs!)

I can empathise with u chick, when i was BFing Isobel, she went through days of completely rejecting the breast, screaming and crying and pulling her head away when feeding. She would be fine at night time and would feed calmly but during the day it was a nightmare. I would feel incredibly uncomfortable forcing my nipple in her mouth when she clearly didnt want it and she would go 6/7 hours some days... but give her a bottle and she sucked it down image It was a huge contributing factor to me giving it up.

its great that he'll take from the bottle though sweets xx
  • Options
    Micah is 16 weeks old and has been sleeping through from 8pm with a dreamfeed at 11pm to about 7am. now for the last two weeks he has been waiking up about 4 or 5 am and after a lot of stirring i give in and feed him at 5 am. but he started this thing for the 3rd day now that when he's breastfeeding through the day he starts screaming like a nut-nut and i dont know what the matter is....i calm him down but as soon as i try to put him on again he goes crazy.....so off i go and make him a formula which he drowns in a few seconds. i started to top him up a lot mpre as two times i went to get him weighed with 2 week intervals and both times he's gone down on his line.... so i am at a loss too why he screams sometimes...is it not coming fast enough? or too fast? i just dont know.....
  • Options
    Are your bubbas showing signs of teething ? My 14 week old is on and off refusing to latch on and it seems to be the days she is also madly chewing anything in sight, dribbleing ect, very fustrating when you have worked so hard on establishing good BF. Had a look at a bf guide about Refusal to latch and it seems that teething can cause them problems due to gum pain and bottle feeding is more comfotable for them at those times.
    Good luck X X
  • Options
    Sophie has been doing this sometimes over the last week or so. She is showing signs of teething so I'm convinced that's what it is.
  • Options
    i've had this problem def teething. A good trick is to wear nipple shields because they feel like a bottle and they can chew.everytime i tried to feed her she would scream like i was trying to feed her acid
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies. Have decided he is definately teething so am breaking out the teegel/Ashton & parsons. All coincided with being given a bottle of formula once a day plus suddenly going from one poo a day to one every five days. Very confusing all in all!

Bryony & Sam (17+4)

[Modified by: foxinsocks on August 17, 2010 03:32 AM]

• Options
    FIS, sorry to drag up an old post but was wondering if you ever resolved this issue (although I know you've returned to work and so won't be feeding so much!).

Archie now totally rejects me! He screams and screams and looks like he is in pain. I breastfed him infront of health visitor other day who witnessed it and got sent to GPs for gaviscon. However, despite this having a huge difference on him settling for sleep etc he still goes mental when I attempt to feed him so our days are now a cycle of feed, scream, bottle, express and then sterilise until we're onto the next cycle!! He has really dropped off his centiles and is being referred to the paeds team if he hasn't improved by next Tuesday so I don't know whether to just admit defeat! I want him thriving and hate seeing him so upset! Any advice? x
  • Options
    Hi Corky'sWife.
    Sorry to hear you are struggling with the same thing. After 2 weeks of trying to get him to feed, I gave up and just expressed/bottle fed in the day. Luckily he would BF while he was sleeping so the middle of the night feed was fine. Have to run and pick Sam up now... will send you a message later when I am online again.