Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Gymboree / Baby Sensory Play

Has anyone tried this? We had our free trial today at Gymboree and Sophie loved it! Despite being a big teething grizzly chops today she managed to stay completely focused for the whole session and didn't cry at all. Although she was sick over one of the silk scarves but you can't have it all.

Now I've just got to convince hubby that ??22 a month isn't that bad.....! (OK, I think it's pretty expensive too, but she did really enjoy it)

Replies

• Options
    We were meant to have our free trial on Tuesday but cancelled it as clashed with nap time and knew we won't be joining- ??30 a month here!! If we were going to pay that I'd rather take him swimming which is ??60 for a 5or6 week term!!
  • Options
    Kayssis - I can't believe that it's ??30 by you, isn't bad how there's regional variations?! And seriously....... ??60 for a swimming term, can anyone afford to pay that?!
  • Options
    It's awful...you wouldve thought a chain like that would be consistent at least! I don't know how anyone does the swimming, just praying the parent and baby lessons at the local pool aren't as expensive- they don't start until 6 months tho image
  • Options
    Gymbo in Brighton is 35 .... :P We still go with my 2 year old despite that :P It is because each seperate Gymbo is a franchise - so it s owned by the people who ve bought the franchise. Not one big company.
  • Options
    I just looked on their website to see where our nearest session is as it sounds good. The website helpfully told me that the nearest one is in Norwich - 63 miles away!! Don't think we'll be taking part in that one then!
  • Options
    Do u mind me asking what it is? I've not heard f it before.
    I take Leo to our local surestart centre as they have an under 1s session. I'm quite lucky as it's amazing. They have all the sensory stuff, we sing songs, do footprints and this wk did messy play so he got to sit in jelly and wet pasta! He loved it!!
    I've copied some of the stuff they gave there and done it myself at home so we've got old water bottles filled with pasta, rice and screwed up bits of tinfoil. Going to sit him in his bumbo today and put loads of wet pasta on the tray for him to play with. Just need to find a mat for my floor!!!
  • Options
    Arlik - it's probably pretty similar to what you do at under 1s. It started off with a group sing song with maracas, then some parachute games and then we all got to have some individual time with our babies in the different sensory areas - touch (scarves, bumpy balls, space blanket etc), sound (musical instrument corner), sight (a tent with fibre optic lights in it) and a big gym area in the middle with balls, mirrors, round mats etc. We then all got back together and had a bubble show (which Sophie loved) and an interactive puppet show (which she loved even more) and sang some more songs. It's all stuff you could do at home, and it's given me loads of ideas.
  • Options
    I love Sensory stuff, I've done loads of training on it at work and set up a sensory room in my living group (i work at a home for children with special needs). There is so much you can do at home. I'll write some stuff down later if you like? I have to go the Drs now but when i have time, I'll write down some bits you could be doing if anyone is interested xx
  • Options
    Pumpkin pie that would be good yeah. Love to try new things.

It's mad how different each part of the country. We don't seem to have of the classes you pat for in this area but on the otherhand we seem to have so many surestart centres with free sessions and singing at the libraries and free baby massage classes. But really lack on swimming lessons round here. Would love to get the little man booked on them
  • Options
    I'd love to see your suggestions PP - Isobel is very lucky with you having all that experience!

Arlik - you're really lucky having loads of free stuff. We've got quite a bit here as there's two children's centres near me, but all the stuff like massage, signing etc has massive waiting lists. I did manage to get a place at Rhythm Time, and we start that next week. I've been taking Sophie swimming on my own, but today decided to try a class at our local council pool. I wasn't that impressed though as most of the stuff we were doing I was doing already when we were there, so I think I'll stick to taking her as and when on my own.
  • Options
    Wow, you ladies are so lucky to have all these options! I'm dying to try all of these things with Corynn, but there's nothing like this at home. I guess I'll have to set up my own stuff at home so will be looking forward to reading ideas on here
  • Options
    We use our local surestart centre a lot and i've gotta confess we do pay out for swimming lessons for both our girls. It is very expensive now with both doing it but DD1 loves it so much and is getting so good that we wouldn't dream of taking it away from her. Plus she does it with daddy (usually) and both of them benefit from that time together.
    We weren't planning on Evie starting her lessons so soon but they had a place for her so that was that. I try to think of it as being offset against the incredibly cheap stuff we do at the surestart centre!

Serena X
  • Options
    Just had a look to see how much it would cost to go to our local Gymboree, its ??32.50!!! Hubby is setting up his own business so we have not spare funds for that. I cant believe the price! Will see if we have a local surestart xxx