Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone tried PUPD method?

Hey girls
Not sure how all the maybies are sleeping but my sleep depreviation is getting bad and so I'm desperate to sort out our nightime troubles so I can get some sleep!
My lo wakes up sometimes every 2 hrs in the night wanting his dummy back in. As soon as it's back in he gies straight back to sleep but I am in and out of bed all night. I haven't had the confidence to leave him to cry and he doesn't seem hungry so I haven't reintroduced a night feed.
I've just read up about the PUPD method from baby whisperer and think I may give a try. Anyone used this?
It's basically a pick up put down method. If baby cries u go in put hand on their back and reassure them. If they continue to cry u pick them up. Then put down when stopped crying. If they start to cry again even as u put them down u pick ip again and repeat. It's gonna be hard hard work to begin with but others have said it works. Lets hope it works! Just would like him to not rely on the dummy for sleep all night!!

Replies

• Options
    Hiya
    I haven't tried it but I have heard really good things about it. I'm also going to be giving it a go as I can't take anymore of this in and out of bed lark!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi I have done a modified version of this pretty much since Freddie was born. I will leave him to grizzle and if he cries I go in and try and settle him in his cot. If he settles and stops I will leave, If he is all out bawling then obviously I will pick him up but as soon as he is calm I put him down.

It is hard - about 4 weeks ago I was up and down the stairs about 15 times before he would go to sleep (I only do it at bed time and in the night as nap times he will nap anywhere). It does work though as now I put him in bed at night, tuck him in and leave him and he will fall asleep on his own and can resttle during the night.

He doesn't have a dummy though xxxx
  • Options
    I think I'm going to attempt this tonight and try and get him to sleep without the dummy. He goes to sleep really easy with the dummy but I want him to be able to go back to sleep without it when he wakes many many times in the night!! It's going to be soooooo hard at 3am to not just give up and put the dummy in! Think I might hide them so I'm not tempted!
  • Options
    i havent tried this but would be interested to hear how you get on as this is the method I want to use with The Diva if she doesnt settle. Good luck chick! x
  • Options
    I tried it and as I was doing it just didn't understand how it's supposed to work! I pick him up, he sort of settles a bit, put him back down and he screams. Every time I put him back down he screamed harder to the point if coughing and choking and picking him up didn't settle him anymore.
    I don't really understand it. Surely they know if they scream your going to pick them up so how it's supposed to stop them from crying and settle them I have no idea!!
    You might gave better luck but I don't think this is suited to Leo. He just got too stressed and he has reflux so if he screams too much and chokes it makes him vomit. Which he did all down me on one if the pick ups!! Lovely!
  • Options
    I used this but introduced it in phases. First with day naps and then at night. First I started by walking/rocking him until he was very calm and sleepy (with taglet next to his face) and would put him down when drowsy. If he cried idcpick him up and walk/rock until calm again etc until he fell asleep in his cot. Next Phase I sat on a chair with him instead of rocking and shushed him until drowsy then put him down. If he cried I repeated until he went to sleep. Gradually got to where I could put him down awake and he goes off fine on his own about 3/5 times. Other times I may go in once or twice to shush/pat but rarely need to pick up anymore.

When you're doing it you can only put them down once they are calm. Baby Whisperer said she has had cases of pick up put down 127 times in one night!!!! That woman has the patience of a saint!

It is a slow process but worth persevering.

Good luck. If all else fail use drugs (kidding!).

Bryony
  • Options
    HI Arlik, just to add to Foxin Socks I also did this in stages .... used to pick up walk around until he was nearly asleep and put down, it is only now that I can put him down awake and he can settle himself, still need the odd PU/ PD, like tonight had to go up once and sing twinkle twinkle!!!!!!

It is worth perservering but I remember being at my wits end.. but if it isn't working for Leo then wait a bit theres plently of time to teach him to settle without the dummy xxx
  • Options
    Touch wood he seems to be getting better. Went to sleep tonight without the dummy. I've given him a comforter and it seems to be helping. Also put hid bedtime an hr later so it's now 7.30-8. And have added an extra bottle into the day as hv told me he wasn't drinking enough. Last night I only had to get up twice and they were quick stick dummy in and back to sleep. But I'm fully aware that could of been a fluke. Will have to see how tonight goes. I will try the pupd again if it's still bad as I don't think I did it properly or gave it a real chance before