Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help with latch and positioning (also in bfing)

Ryan is now 4 and a half weeks old and still not latching on properly, think i've got positioning all wrong. I'm trying to follow all the advice, videos, diagrams but I just can't get him to take enough breast in his mouth. I've spoken to the hv who said to go to the support group, I've rung the national breastfeeding helpline who said to go to the suppot group, I've been to two support groups and seen 2 bfing counsellors, one was fab bit he didn't want to feed while we were there, the other, well seemed irritated I'd interrupted her lunch and then seemed to be annoyed that I stayed so long (took a friend with me, so not just me being oversensitive) and she basically said we've pretty much got it right, just that he was too far across my body, but then cos he got agitated with us trying to reposition him she just said put him on the way you normally do.

I've tried to adjust our positioning, but even when I put him to the breast before he's hungry he just gets agitated and frustrated that he can't get on it quick enough. The next support group (with the good counsellor) isn't until Thursday night and to be honest I don't think I'll still be bfing by then. My nipples are so sore and missing a gouge out of one, the other breast constantly feels like it's burning. Im not sure if it might be thrush. We both are getting so distressed at each feed and he never seems satisfied after. I'm at my wits end (again).

Does anyone know where else you can turn to for help? x

Replies

• Options
    i wish i could come round and show you! I had a really hard time the first time and spent 2 weeks in tears, this time round its so much easier, It's awful when the professionals are so unhelpful! Ophelia takes 15 mins to latch on as i have huge boobs and she is tiny, This time i know not to get stressed with it cause it will happen in fact the more she cries and i can get more of my breast in her mouth. I have to play about with positions too when my breasts are really full i have to use the position were baby goes under your arm

http://www.abc.net.au/parenting/parenting_in_pictures/images/breastfeeding_positions_2.gif

I have to literally shove her on and hold her till she sucks. she spands most of the time waving her head around getting milk all over her face and in her eyes. I also have to pinch my nipple a bit before so she has something to suck on or she just kind of licks it.

You could try expressing a bit first or using something called latch assist (by lasinoh)

Its hard for me to help you more without showing you, i could make you a video and email it but you can find similar things on youtube. If you decide you can't do it don't feel bad you need to do whats best for you, you have done it for 4 weeks and have given your baby the best start.

You could go back to the delivery suite as mine said if i needed any help i could contact them for the first month. you are desperate and i can see you really want to do this so they should help you x

Jessica 6 and Ophelia 11 days xxx
  • Options
    I don't know what to suggest hon, but you're doing a really good job by trying to stick with it.

As TM does, if I'm a bit full I pinch the nipple a bit before shoving it into Sophie's mouth and then holding her head still whilst she is on.

I also have a really helpful book called Breast Is Best which has chapters on common problems and solutions, it has really helped me.
  • Options
    poor you, i have really struggleed with bf too but it has got easier in the last few days altho i'm still topping him up with formula
    If i'm full i either pinch an inch above and below my nipple to give him something to latch to (your aiming for tge shape of a flat ice lolly with your boob if you see what i mean) or alternatively i expresss for a min or two which lengthens my nipples and makes it easier to get him latched on. I also found feeding lying down in bed was the turning point for me as i have quite big boobs and it was just easier to latch him on.
    I also tried a rolled up flannel under my boob which lifts the nipple so i could latch him on more easily.
    I also recommend kamillosen cream which helped to heal my nipples when i was left bleeding from a poor latch.
    If you think you might want to carry on bf when you have been to the clinic on thurs, could you express every time you feed him to try and maintain your milk supply?
    Whatever you decide, you've done really well in getting this far especially with all the pain you've experienced.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for taking time to reply girls, really appreciate the advice. We've got through today so far, he's only fed for 5-10mins each time and then I've had to give him a big top up, but at least he's still been on the boob. When we try rugby hold or lying down he just seems to get more upset and distressed. But will try anything again at the moment.
    At night when Im really engorged I do express first and it helps a little, I've got a latch assist but found it just aggravates the broken bits ad causes more bleeding! Unfortunately I have very little faith in the hospital as they kicked me out syringe feeding him with no direction of where to go next.
    Taking him to be weighed at baby clinic tomorrow so will ask the hv again and while I'm in town will look for that book.. If they can't help I've it the contact details for the pcts bfing co-ordinator so will try here next then third place is lll, have just discovered they will visit you at home for help! Also need to make an appt with the doc tomorrow, now convinced we've got thrush (which is agony during and for 1-2hours post feed for me) and would account for his exceptional fussiness if his mouths sore, feel so guilty and helpless.
    I'd heard of that cream, but couldn't remember the name...something else for the shopping list xx