Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm finally here- with a very long BA

thank goodness for word, and good old copy and paste (and a hubby with a great memory)

here we are

This is my BA, probably will end up very lengthy, Just grabbing a few minutes whilst daddies having a squeeze.

Well as most of you know, things slowly started happening on Tuesday morning. I was having pains quite randomly, say every 10, 15, 30 minutes, but nothing started to get regular. I was getting quite teary as I was scared of being by myself. So hubby came home from work. We ate some toast for lunch, had a little walk around the local lake thingy, went to tesco and then we settled in for the night, still with the pains getting a little stronger but still as infrequent.

Wednesday started out the same with the same pains. We writing down the times and the were mostly, on average 8mins apart. Called the hospital a few times as they were getting stronger, but they just told me to stay at home. Again, we ate lunch at about 11.30 as I was so hungry. Then I started having the clearout and I decided to go to bed just to rest up. I would like to add at this point, I still didn't think I was in labour. I kept thinking it would all stop. We didn't have any food in the house as I was planning on going shopping as it was payday. So hubby decided just to get takeaway, which we decided on a mild Chinese as if things were to happen, I didn't want a curry bum ha ha!! But the Chinese was shut, so we ended up eating dominoes- half and half hawaiian seemed to do the trick! As soon as I had eaten my half, I went and had a shower, got dried off, then all of a sudden the pains came every 5 mins and all of a sudden stepped up a gear. I rung the hospital and they asked me to go in. looks like pinapple does work ha ha ha!!!

At around 7.30 we got there and put on the trace to monitor baby and contractions. Surprise surprise, they all completely stopped! A lovely midwife said that they always expect that as your adrenaline affects the hormone your body makes to have them. She left us alone for about 10 mins, where I then had 3 more in ten minutes. She then examined me, and I was over the moon to say I was already 5cm on and that I would be having my baby soon. She felt the position and said he was laying back to back so she told me to get ready and I'd be moved to a room.

We then got moved to the active birthing room, which was amazing! She showed me lots of positions to help him move around, like laying on my right had side, stand up and rock around and have a cuddle with hubby as relaxing would help him move around. Hubby went to get my bags from the car. Then a new midwife called Shelley came to introduce her self to me, wish was a shame as I liked the one before, and I just didn't seem to click with her. I wanted a bath straight away, but this just annoyed me. I'd say it was about 9ish by the time I got out and dried off. After this, everything just seemed to kick off even more. I was bouncing around on the ball and I just thought I need help with this pain! We buzzed and two midwifes showed me how to use gas and air. At first it really annoyed me, but once I got into a rhythm of using it, it took me to a happy place. I can remember feeling really trippy and buzzy, which I rather enjoyed! It made me laugh when I'd had loads of it and my voice was going really deep. As I was an active birth room, I didn't have a regular hospital bed, but like a really big foam kidney shaped bed, so I was tooting away on the gas and air laid on my right hand side trying to get him moving. After about 20 mins, paul reminded me to get moving on the ball and birthing stool, so this must have been happening for about 2 hours. Because I was sick, hubby buzzed for the midwife to come back and see if I was ok. As I was completely out of it and sick, she said it was a sign of established labour. By this time it was about 11.30pm (I keep asking hubby when all this happened as it all went into a blur for me from about now) and she said she'll be back at 8.30 to examine me again.

So I laid there, on my little comfy bed and I remember thinking how much pain I was in. so much so that I started crying, she must have heard me outside so she came to check on me. I remember looking at the digital clock and it was 12.15am by this point, but she examined me a bit early. I was then 6/7cm gone.

Hubby says she'd left me for a few hours and then came back. She reminded me that I hadn't been for a wee for a good few hours so she helped me on the toilet so his head could move down. I remember her getting me the portable gas and air. I was here for about half an hour. Hubby then got me the birthing stool and a glass of water and he had a cuppa. I can hardly remember all this, hubby is telling me it all now so sorry sentences are a bit brief. I then moved back into the room and it all started to slow down.

After this, she asked me if my waters had gone, to which I answered no. Then I touched down there and I was all slimy. I couldn't stop crying and generally getting stressed. Because of this, everything slowed down and my contractions began to stop. This was about 4.00am and I was 9 and a half cm gone and the midwife pushed back my cervix as it was only on one side. But this didn't speed anything up. I really hated this part now! Really horrible memories. She didn't really explain herself properly and kept saying to push with the urge. But I didn't have the urge but I thought she wanted me to, but nothing was happening at all. I was getting so stressed and was crying everywhere. I was getting really really worked up. Then two doctors came to check things out, to find out that my waters hadn't actually gone, but they did then! I was put on a drip and everything picked back up again.

I laid there till about 6 when they swapped shifts, and I had a much better one who was a lot clearer with her instructions and even though I was out of it, I was a lot calmer with her. After this he started to move down more I started to push about 6.30.

After lots and lots of pushing, he started to crown and it felt very very stingy. With the midwives guidance she told me when to push. It was the most painful thing I have ever felt, but I knew I had to do him out. Then one final push, his head was out and then I pushed once more and I felt a slide of relief out of me. Its so hard to explain, but it was amazing! He was popped onto my chest and hubby cut the cord. At 8.27 on 27th of May, my little Felix was finally here!!

I had the injection to deliver the placenta and we had a snuggle. I was really pleased to find out I only had one tiny tear that didn't need any stitches! We were brought tea and toast and left for quite a while. It was all a bit of a blur again, but by 4.00pm we were sent home.

The whole experience was painful, but worth it all. I can believe that my little man is finally here!

Sorry for all the details and good luck to any other May mummies still to give birth