Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Work taking the P!

I had a text message from my boss earlier this week asking me to go in to the office next week to conduct my annual "personal review" and ignored it! And now they've sent me a letter asking me to go in before 4 June or for my boss to come to my house to do the review. She estimates that the review will take 2 -3 hours and we can "do it in between feeds and nappy changes".

I'm sorry, but have they forgotten that I've just had a baby?! I'm breast feeding every three hours and really do not want to do that in the office, or in front of my boss, and how exactly does she think we can do the review in between Sophie screaming because she wants feeding? It was hard enough talking to the HV the other day because of Sophie feeding and that was just for five minutes!

Replies

• Options
    Hiya hun,

G/C from TTC. Right, I'm not an expert but as far as I can see, they are unable to contact you whilst you are on maternity regarding work issue (a bit like when you're off sick).

Now, if this is a personal annual reveiw, your manager should have had the foresight to conduct this prior to you going on the sick - or to now make a note on your employment record that this annual review has been postponed for obvious reasons.

There is only one response to this request as far as I can see - tell them that their request is inappropriate and will not be met.

• Options
    Didn't want to r&r - I think the poster above is probably right and I would perhaps contact your boss or someone you trust at work (HR person?) informally to ask them and tell them that you think it is a bit inappropriate. Tell them you are not feeling up to this visit and either it will have to wait until you return or a time which is convenient for you.
    Maybe you could ring Citizen's Advice Bureau before to see your rights but I am sure the poster above is correct that they cannot demand you deal with work issues when on paid leave.
    Good luck!! x
  • Options
    Hi there. Gosh she really is taking the P***. You are on maternity leave. That means you are on leave away from work. You could be staying somewhere other than your home, so I don't think they have any right to insist on such nonsense. Hope this helps. Dx
  • Options
    HIya this link might be useful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_175088

Technically they shouldnt be making you work on maternity leave and should only be contacting you to tell you about essential things.

You can work up to ten days (Keeping in touch days) while you are on maternity leave as keeping in touch days and they have to pay you a full wage on these days. Im pretty sure its your choice though whether you do this. therefore, if they want you to do a 2/3 hr review that is half a day and they should be paying you for it!
  • Options
    What an absolute joke hun! Sure what everyone else had already said is right and they can't get away with that. Might be worth a quick call to acas (maybe with a free hand during feeds if you bfing?) then tell them to p*ss off xx
  • Options
    G/C from DIN. When Lily was 7 days old I took her into school to let everyone see her. It was a training day and we called in on our way back from registering her. When I got there I was told I was doing a staff meeting for my keystage! I was gobsmacked. I had only called in so they could all see my 7 day old baby on my way home from the registry office. Needless to say, I didn't do it and was NOT impressed with the head! xxx
  • Options
    what a joke - i would call ACAS hun. They will give you advice on how to deal with the situation and where to stand. ACAS are fab x

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
  • Options
    I've done a snappy email saying they should have done the review before I left, and there should be notes on my personal file for them to look at. Also, we have to set "targets" for the next year which I think is what they want to discuss, seeing as I'm not even going to be there I won't have any!