Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone planning to do BLW?

I am planning to do BLW but feeling a bit nervous - my SIL gave me some annabel karmel books which kind of set out what to do in week 1 then week 2 etc but BLW isn't like that.
I'm just not quite sure how to start!! I'm really conscious that some of the stuff i eat wouldn't be suitable for him (like chilli and rice) as i am not sure he'd cope with loaded spoons. Tonight I'm having a quorn grill with mash, cabbage and baby sweetcorn and out of all that, i can only see that the baby sweetcorn is suitable. I'm vegetarian too (oh isn't) and i'm not sure that i want j to be vegetarian.
Eeek! It all just feels really new and a bit scary (kind of like bf for the first time - oh and that first bath!!)
I'm sure a few weeks into it I will be fine but i'm just feeling a bit nervous and we won't even be starting for another 9 weeks!!
anyway, is anyone else planning to to BLW and when are you starting?

Replies

• Options
    I think we're going to go for a combination approach, with purees and bits for Sophie to chomp on. I do really need to read up on the whole weaning thing, it scares me at the moment!

I'm going to hold off to the 6 months as long as possible, that gives me about 8 weeks to get my head round it all. Unless the little gannet decides she wants more than milk sooner than that.
  • Options
    yea im the same as mrs bear, im doing a combination like i did with archie. to be honest, i dont get all the hype over BLW, i find it to be quite limiting as they are not going to be trying enough stuff if you just leave them to it, and they need a variety of texures and tastes which purees give them. to start with im going to be giving one puree a day for about a week, then add things for her to attempt to hold while im doing it, such as rusks, and small pieces of fruit. i started with lunch time with archie for the first few weeks then gradually added the other 2 meal times in. the thought of giving hard bits of raw veg isnt for me though, neither is apple as they could choke, il just be giving her soft finger foods and yummy purees mmmm!xx
  • Options
    From my understanding BLW you cut food into sticks/ cubes that is easy for a baby to hold. My SIL started it by giving LO sticks of carrot, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, potato, etc. She does the same with chicken, cheese and fish. She also give LO pasta, soft sandwiches (crust cut off), breadsticks, rice cakes, toast etc. I plan do do the same with Jensen but will also give him preloaded spoons of yoghurt, and baby cerials x
  • Options
    Im doing the same as Sophie+Archie and MrsBear, purees and lots of finger foods to try alongside it xx
  • Options
    I started Sam on solids about 2 weeks ago and its going well. He is 4 and a half months so way to young to actually eat anything on his own. He is one three meals a day now... cereal in morning and evening and butternut (which he LOVES - he smacks his lips!) or sweet potato puree for lunch. He is now sleeping for 10 hours at night since I started him on solids.

When he is a little older I will let him chew on some stuff himself but will feed him his meals for a while still. At least I know he is eating decently then and he obviously needs it as I was having to do two feeds at night before I added in food.
  • Options
    Sorry to ask, Im confused whats BLW? x
  • Options
    I'm planning on doing a combination too x

babymay- It's baby led weaning, here's a link

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startingsolids/babyledweaning/
  • Options
    also try http://www.babyledweaning.com
    i'm at least a year away from this point, but have had fun looking at all the options.
    g/c from did
  • Options
    I like the idea but I think I'll start of doing a combination or just purees and then add in some finger foods as I see her skills developing. I'm going to try to take weaning as just another first, same as you mention (first bath, etc!). I've no idea when I'll start though, I don't think she's ready yet