Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hello May Mummies....

Technically this isn't the right forum, as I'm due in May2011, but I am having a very hard time accepting my pregnancy and was hoping for some reassuance. Hubby and I were TTC and very excited about the prospect of becoming parents, however since I got my BFP last week my excitement has turned to dread, and I am absolutely petrified, and don't even know if I want a baby anymore. I have shared this with my OH and he has been great. I keep getting told it is just hormones and I need time for them to settle down, but I am so scared that they wont. image I had a brief moment when I first got my BFP of happiness, but ever since I have just cried and been unhappy and like I just can't cope.
Everything we talked about when TTC - responsibility, change, our relationship changing, my job, all seemed fine, but now I can't bear the thought of any of it, I can't even look at a baby without crying.

I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm just so worried. xx

Replies

• Options
    Oh Chick, you sound so upset. I think everyone experiences to a degree feelings of fear when they find out they are having a baby whether the baby is planned or not. Its a huge decision and its scary and unknown and this can be hard to get your head round.
    All i can do is speak of my own experience: i had massive moments of doubt and panic during my pregnancy - would i cope with a baby? would my relationship with my husband change? And Im not going to lie, having a baby has been hard work but oh my goodness chick, its so worth it. Becoming a Mother has been the scariest, most worrying, thrilling, happiest time of my life and I cannot imagine not having her in my life. The things i worried about when pregnant either just fell into place or we worked at it.
    Do you have family close by or supportive friends? They can be a godsend and also this site can be too. Ive met a lot of extremely lovely, supportive and caring ladies through this site and they help to put perspective on things and offer support through the hard times (and celebrate the good!). xx
  • Options
    Hiya, I felt a bit like this with my first and towards the end with dd2, felt scared mainly and worryed about it "spoiling" our relationships, she hasnt, everything is much better!!! it's a very nerve wracking time, it's a huge change and it is scary! I think what your feeling is very normal, if it carries on I'd go chat to the doctor about it as I've known a few ladies suffer with pre natal depression, your hormones are being severly messed with!
    Feel free to email me if you want to chat more , Stef x
  • Options
    Hi Mrs 22, I also had moments like this where the enormity of having a baby just overwhelmed me. The hormones are crazy things they really do make you soo emotional and different to your usual self...

Rest assured it is the best thing I have ever done in my life, I love my little one in a way that I have never felt ever. I was lucky that I had an easy pregnancy and relatively easy labour,

THere is nothing to dread, it is hard work but all worth it. Hormones do settle down after 3 months of being pg but it is your decision.
    Hope that helps, xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I truely hope you are all right, as I do feel differently xx
  • Options
    It's massively over-whelming - I can remember the same panic at the responsibilities ahead and whether I would fail my baby, something would go wrong etc - and I still have moments like that but I still wouldn't change things for the World.

My biggest advice to add to everyone elses comments would be to take each day as it comes and make your own decisions, try not to be intimidated/pressurised by everyone elses opinions about what you should/shouldn't do in the run up or when baby arrives - these forums are fab (if they are all like BIMay!) and the ladies are an amazing support xx
  • Options
    Oh hunni, sounds like you're having a rough time of it. It's normal to feel scared...I know I certainly did and everything will change to a degree but I promise you it's absolutely for the best and once you lo's here you wouldn't change any of it for the world. Use these forums, if dim2011 is as lovely as dim2010 you will meet some fabulous ladies who will be a great pillar of support over the next 9 months and beyond xx
  • Options
    Can I be completely honest.. I had these exact thoughts at the beginning which subsided eventually and even when my daughter was about 3 days old I doubted myself and thought I'd made a mistake in having her because I didn't think I could keep a tiny person alive with no experience! I just loved her so intensly it scared me. But you just do it, and within days you're not focusing on your 'responsibilties' because you are just in heaven with your beautiful baby! It is the most unbelieveable feeling and you will soon think what was i worried about!
    Your worries are so common its a massive shock to the system no matter how much you plan but i promise when u feel movements and ur bump grows so will your love and excitement!

All the best! Xxx