Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tens machines??

Hey ladies,

I was just wondering if any of you were going to hire/purchase a tens machine for labour?? I have only just remembered about them. I hired one for DD1s birth and I think it helped at the time, but not sure wether to do it again this time.

What are your thoughts?

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey spuddy i didn't have one last time but this time I'm going to try one as i'm hoping it will ease the pain so I feel able to do things to help get baby down a bit more successfully than last time.
  • Options
    Definitely I loved mine last time and felt it really helped until I surrendered to the gas and air! I have an Elle tens machine which I bought off ebay. Have no idea where it's hiding though, better start looking soon! x
  • Options
    We tried one out in NCT classes and said we would get one, but havent done anything about it yet, may buy one as hubbys back is bit dodgy so could use for that too, and if doesnt get used sell on ebay after, but then we have few more things to buy so not sure if will justify the outlay...do they really help that much, any views appreciated.. xx
  • Options
    Hiya, Im wanting one! Im not sure how much they are to hire but I know Lloyds have some on offer... they have one with 4 pads that is half price ??25 (should be ??50) and also mum was in there yesterday and said they had some with two pads on for ??9.99

Im going to speak to the MW on friday about which one I should get... also if you want one from Lloyds pharmacy you have to get someone else to buy it you cos they wont sell it to you if you are pregnant this is something else im going to query with the MW as I just wanna query that they are safe (im sure they are but i dont get why they have not suitable for labour or pregnancy plastered all over them lol)

xxxx
  • Options
    HI guys,

I used one for endo and post-op pain in the past and found them amazing. Luckily someone is lending me a mama tens so I don't ahve to hire.

I think the frequencies are different and you have to have a special pregnancy one - I have a normal one and ive been told not to use it at all whilst preg.

R x
  • Options
    yes there are 2 types and one shouldnt be used in pregnancy so make sure you get the right ones ladies x
  • Options
    Im not this time, just give me the gas and air! :lol:

it didnt do much for me but evryone is different, and if it helped you last time go for itimage
  • Options
    My sis ran out & bought one from Lloyds chemist last time I was in the throes of labour.

It was ??30 and I don't don't know if it really helped as such but I kept it on right till I got to hospital.

I remember the 'pulse' option took my breath away at first!
  • Options
    I hired a MAMAtens from Mothercare last time and used it right up until I couldn't take anymore and had to get an epidural. I've hired one again this time and hoping it will be just as effective again image