Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else anemic?

Had a phone call from the Dr's yesterday and have now been put on Iron Tablets. Had my bloods done on Tuesday at my 34wk MW appointment, didn't think anything of it. Not sure how low my iron is but perhaps is does explain why I'm a bit more exhausted than usual!

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi

i am also anemic and have been since the start of my pregnancy.

I stopped taking my iron tablets months ago as they gave me really bad constiption. At my last bloods at 28weeks they came back and said i had to go back on them. Told me that my bloods had significantly dropped and that if i was to bleed to any extent during my labour then i will be too drained to enjoy my baby.

So i took the warning and decided to start them again, but just remembered this morning oops! So that is me back on them but i am only taking 2 a day as opposed to prescribed 4 a day and keeping my fiber intake high!

xx
  • Options
    I'm aneamic too hun, I had bloods taken at 25 weeks due to pregnancy related asthma, they called me 4/5weeks later to say my iron was "dangerously low" (well it couldn't have been that dangerous as it had taken them so long to get back to me! ) Anyway it was 9.1? whatever that means I'm on 2 iron tablets a day (when I remember to take them!! :-/) But I'm exausted too and presuming its that.

Hope you are ok

xx
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the normal range is - around 11 or 12 I think. I got it towards the end with Zak and after I had him (the next day) I passed out as they had dropped to about 5 or something silly. I hate that feeling though of feeling like your gonna faint or something! And oh yes, I have just remembered about the 'black curse' of taking the tablets! x
  • Options
    I'm usually anemic outside of pregnancy, for some weird reason it tends to go in the 2nd trimester and comes back when baby is a few weeks old!

xx
  • Options
    I'm vegetarian so I was surprised I wasn't anaemic when I had my booking in blood tests done. I think my levels go up and down tbh.
  • Options
    I'm anemic too, on Iron tablets now aswell, what dose of tablets are you taking? I am currently taking 90mg a day, about to go up to 125mg.
  • Options
    I am supposed to take 4x 200mg of Ferrous Sulphate. I am only taking 2x 200mg as i my digestive system cannot handle any more!

I think she said my last reading had dropped from 9.9 at my initial bloods weeks ti 8.9 at my 28 weeks.

• Options
    I am too, but not by much. My reading a few weeks back was 10.2 so was put on iron 2 tablets a day but haven't really taken them due to constipation but on the flip side my restless legs are better when I take them so catch 22 really.

I eat shed loads of cereal so thought I'd get alot of fibre from that?
  • Options
    I am too - normal is 14 - but they don't count it as low is it is much below.

When I first took the iron tablets they made me very sick, I can't take them unless I have something to eat first - I would recommend this. I don't know if this has helped but I have not been constipated which I know is a usual side effect. I also eat porridge for breakfast think this helps too - but who knows what goes on inside???
  • Options
    Im borderline, whatever that means from last blood tests and spoke to Dr who said she will monitor me as doesnt want me to go on tablets unless its dire as causes constipation/diarreoah, but I am so exhausted now, xxx
  • Options
    Luckily my MW told me to come off them yesterday... my dr put me on them but I was only a tad under normal levels. They made me feel awful and gave me the complete opposite of constipation.

I do still feel lethargic and tired most days but I am forcing myself to eat a steak a week now. Ugh!

xxx
  • Options
    I'm on Ferrous Fumerate - 210mg each tablet 3 times a day. Not sure what the difference is between those and Ferrous Sulphate which is what I was on last time. We'll c how it goes but at the minute I am shattered come 7pm! xx

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/lXGQp1.png