Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Decided I'm too posh to push!!

Lol not "too posh" exactly!!

I've got spd which I also had with ds1. I go to antenatal swimming physio to help with it. While I was there I met 2 women that had had their babies over 14 months ago but are still suffering with spd symptoms due to the birth!! Eek!! I had emcs with ds1 and so spd went away quickly after he was born, and just assumed this was the case with everyone. It has now put the fear of god into me as 1 of them is using a walking stick!! I'm due to begin a sports degree in about 18 months and am very active, however I obviously will not b able to do the course if I am using a walking aid.

I hav a choice of whether I want a natural birth or planned c section this time and hav been adament that I want a natural birth this time. However since meeting these women I am defo having a c section. I don't actually hav 2 giv my consultant a definitive answer until I'm 36 weeks (I'm 31 now) so has anyone got any info on planned c sections? Like when do the usually do them? Xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hello

I saw your post on my thread. I've been told by the registrar they don't like to do planned ones earlier than 39 weeks but have heared of people having them at 38, it may depend on your hospital or the reason why your having one. I'm booked in for 39+3. But have been reassured that if I go into labour before then they will still aim to do a section. I don't really know too much of the ins & outs of things, I have to go in for 8.30 in the morning for tests/checks etc & they start taking people off to surgery at 1.30pm.

I had a natural birth last time but had complications & was advised to go for a planned section this time. I still really would have preferred a natural birth this time because of the recovery time but I'm not willing to take the risk. Hope this helps? xxx
  • Options
    Thanks 4 reply Beaniesmum I'm seeing my consultant next week so will speak 2 him about it then. I hav a friend who is a mw but don't really wanna bother her with this.

Lol at sherbertfizz!! Yes never thought of that but ur right!! Easy peasy lol!!

Cherrycupcake I feel so sorry 4u, I'm not as bad as u by the sounds of it. It's good that u are having help with your dd tho. I was so sure I wanted a natural birth but if the option is between a natural birth vs walking there is no option in my eyes. I hav some friends who hav had vbacs and planned csections so looked at it from their point of views but in the end it's my decision and only I can make that decision. I'm happy with my decision but do feel slightly that I will b missing out, however if me and my boys are healthy that's the main thing. I hope it all works out 4u xxx
  • Options
    As far as I know they tend to do them about a week before your due.

I would talk things through more with your consultant before you make a final decision.

• Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I really suffered with SPD in my first pregnancy, was holding onto furniture or the walls by the end to walk about. I did manage a natural birth and luckily for me I recovered from the SPD immediately and haven't suffered this time. However, I can completely understand your concerns, especially with the course you'll be doing and having had a c-section last time.

I'm also having a planned c-section this time however, as I had a bad 3rd degree tear with my first delivery and have been advised by my consultant at the time and my consultant now I'm pregnant again to not risk it again. They've booked me in for exactly 39 weeks but it seems to vary between 37 and 39 weeks or somewhere in between.
  • Options
    all i know about a planned section vs a emergency one is the recovery is amazingly different!!

my younger brother was an extreme emergency section, the n my sister was a last min descision section....very naughty of the staff as it turned out after there was no real reason for it image ...

so my youngest sister (by now my mum was 43 & 5th baby)

was a planned section, instead of being knocked out like the other 2 mum was awake with epidural & it was the easiest recovery ever, given her age etc it was amazing!! (i was 16 at the time)

to the point @ my older brothers wedding 4 weeks later my mum was up & dancing all night... like the old rock'n'roll stuff not gentle smoochy stuff :lol:

my emergency one was awful, but if i were in your posistion i have to say i think i would be swaying towards the section too!!

just get all the info possible & i would deffo leave it until 36 wks to give my answer

xx