Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Deliver at term!!!!

Hi ladies, at my Consultant appt I was told I would be delivered at term, and last week had 32 week growth scan and after saw the Dr and he said we would discuss my labour at next appt in 3 weeks (which is 36 week growth scan). Can anyone help with what may happen... I have been to NCT classes and discussed pain relief etc and Im sure all will be discussed (or would hope so) at my next appt, but Im starting to dream about it now as not long and have no real clue as to what they may say to do or when...any help or advice appreciated.

K xxx

Replies

• Options
    Wow not long for you! I'm having a growth scan/consultant appointment at 35 weeks and I guess we'll be talking about birth options then but not sure exactly what will happen. I guess it depends why you are under consultant care too as to what will happen.

Thats great news though, you don't want to be waiting until 42 weeks like I had to last time!!
  • Options
    Hi Bliss, I know at least I wont go over which I was chuffed about at the time, but now its rolling round Im starting to palpitate ha ha. I mean will they ask me to go in on week 40 and thats it, get ready mama for your baby ha ha ha, I know I should have asked last time but as he said we will discuss in what is now 3 weeks I just went quiet lol xxx
  • Options
    When they mentioned this to me before the growth scan, my understanding was they would insert a pessery (not sure of spelling) this softens the cervix enough to break your waters if this fails to progress they would then put you on a intravenous drug that's brings on contractions and gets you to dilate but I was warned this process can take up to 4 days. If I should require intervention I'm going straight for a C-section.

I'm guessing this would be the case for getting you started I was also told a water birth would be a no go because of the drip, you've then got assisted delivery after that or c-section.

Why won't they let you go over? x

• Options
    Hiya hun

Basically what I think will happen is they will give you an early sweep at 38/39 weeks to see if they can get things started as they don't want you going over. If they don't work I'd imagine they'll take you in at around 40 weeks and examine you to determine how ready your cervix is. They'll probably start off using pesseries unless your 2cmish in which case they'll probably just break your waters. If they can't do that they'll insert a pessary every 12 (I think) hours until your either going into labour or your dialated enough for them to break your waters. If your labour is long and your not progressing as quickly as they'd like they will probably hook you up to a hormone drip to speed up your contractions. If they do that they'll probably discuss/offer you an epidural because the drip can make your contractions very intense and close together.

I hope that helps a bit, how exciting its getting now!

xxx
  • Options
    my first was the way julesbbutton just described, pessery then membrane sweep then broken waters then drip(which ds1 didnt aprove of :roll: ) and i did end up with c-section....but that was down to a bad desicion & not reading the notes, long story

they gave me the first pessery late saturday evening & i had him on the tuesday afternoon, but i did have an epidural on top of all that, im a BIG wimp :lol: and they are said to lenghten things anyway!!

with ds2 they went straight to breaking my waters which apparently they'l do this time if i need inducing yet again(my children seem to be very stubburn :roll: )

then again with the drip (thankfully it didnt bother ds2) then again with the epidural although that one took 3 attempts to work so really i should if just manned up & got on with just the gas & air :lol: he was deliverd in the end with help of the ventouse....which after watching obem im glad it was that not the forceps, they look HUGE!! image

was alot shorter process too, i had waters broken thurs afternoon & he was born early hours fri morning!!

the Dr told me last week they dont like to use a pessery once you've had a c-section !!???!! i didnt think to ask why at the time, wish i had tho!!

by term did they mean 37weeks...as they technicaly say thats full term... or did they mean 40weeks?

either way at least you wont be waiting around!! soo exciting, will you be seeing a midwife before your next scan? maybe she could clear it up a bit?

ok i should stop rambling now image

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies you are stars, it makes sense and at least I am a bit more prepared now, I am assuming 'term' means 40 weeks omg if it was 37 thats 4 weeks away, lordy lord!!! Jules Im not 100% sure y I cant go over something to do with placenta I think, tbh I havent read any books watched OBEM or really looked into things as Im very que sera sera, and I know each woman is different, Its just starting to hit me now that its so close and I know ive got 7 weeks max now, so thought I maybve should start to be prepared. I have midwife next week and will ask in more detail then,but they always seem so rushed, and then have 36 week scan and Thats when the hospital said we will discuss....oooooohhhhhh one scared mama to be image xxx