Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tummy Time

When did you all start doing tummy time with your babes? I have tried it with Holland in her crib, supervised of course, for a few minutes but all she does is cry! Maybe she is too young. I have put her on her tum over my knee which she is not thrilled about but is a little less distressed about than doing it in her crib. Aren't we supposed to do it 2-3 times daily for a few minutes??? I'm sure as she gets older she'll like it more...... Just wondered how you are getting on with it.

Replies

• Options
    I'm not doing it yet. I think dd was at least 8 weeks or more before I started with her & even then she hated it so I didn't really push it. Once she learnt to roll over at 10 weeks she just did tummy time herself (mostly as she had no choice since she rolled herself there & couldn't get back).

Thomas is already very strong with his head, has been holding it up a few weeks now so I'm not too fussed.

Try to chill, books have alot of "you should do this or that" but you'll relax more by not following a book but following your baby & your instincts.

Xxxxxx
  • Options
    I'm doing it with Harry and have been for a while, more to help strengthen his neck and busted shoulder than anything. He hates it as well. Daniel was the same, hated it right until the moment he realised he could roll over then he didn't mind it anymore! But yes meant to do a few minutes a few times a day but remember when she's on your shoulder she will be lifting her head so is doing it anyway. Xx
  • Options
    Griff is 4 weeks and we have been doing tummy time a few times a week for the last couple of weeks. He had really good neck control right from birth and holds his head up well for 30 secs at a time... Griff doesn't sleep much so I put him on a playmat when he has some wide awake time and let him have some tummy time then. I remember ds1 used to like being on his tummy and Griff is similar... likes it for a few minutes before getting fed up!!
  • Options
    Tummy Time?! Oooo never heard of this!
  • Options
    Aurelia could lift her head from birth...in fact the first thing she did when she was put on my chest was lift her upper body up and face the other way. Now she is still more comfortable on her tummy so we have lots of tummy time but when i mention to my friend she said she never did it with hers till 10-11 weeks.

Sabbath tummy time is when you put them on their tummy supervised to encourage them to life their head and strengthen their neck.

Emma.xx
  • Options
    I'll try with Holland a little more then but won't push it, lambchop I think you're right about what the books say etc. I am driving myself nuts thinking should I do this or that!
  • Options
    I started very early with Ds1 and he hated it at first but got used to it and enjoyed it. He had great head control and upper body strength and crawled very early i think tummy time helped him with this.

Ds2 is 3 weeks and i've put him down a couple of times but it's difficult with a toddler running riot to put him down safely! Every time I put him on his play gym, DS1 runs straight over and tries to grab him or cuddle him!! :roll: I think it's good to get them used to it early as they can get very resistant to it the older they get. Ds2 hates it after a minute too!! x
  • Options
    Oooo, my LO does this already when being burped or held over the shoulder, it scares me!! Should I actually be encouraging it? She is only 2 weeks image ......
  • Options
    *cough* sophie sleeps on her tummy *cough* her neck and back is amazingly strong and has been since birth!!!
  • Options
    I've found my LO likes tummy time best when he's lying on me! If you sit reclined with your LO on your chest then when they lift their head they can see you and 'chat' to you (I have a noisy little monster! image ) As he's got stronger he now loves it when I lie flat on my back and he tries to drag himself up my body! Although when he dug his nails into my neck to help pull himself up it wasn't so much fun!
  • Options
    Im same as KG as lo likes being on my chest and pulls head up from there, we did try TT yesterday on play mat but it lasted all of 3 mins then a few cries, so Im not gonna rush it, if we did everything the books said when they said, I know me for one would be a basket case(even more than now) image lol xx
  • Options
    Finnlagh has been lifting his head/shoulders pretty much from birth too, it's scary! We haven't had any tummy time yet, but I just bought his playmat yesterday so will probably start it from today.