Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talk me thru your bedtime routine

So this is the week I've decided to really get a routine going, I started about the sane time with DD & she immediately took to it something I suspect DS isn't going to be as easy with.

So what do you do?

Do you have to keep resettling them? If so how often?

Are they upstairs away from you?

My plan is as follows

Anywhere from 6pm-7pm put dd to bed as usual.

7:30pm take ds upstairs he has a bottle of formula for his last feeds so give him that upstairs, wind, cuddles & bed with nightlight & musical lightshow.

Now if the last few days are anything to go by I'll have to keep resettling him every 2-10 minutes by either popping his dummy back in or trying winding him. The winding is a pain as this alone can take up to half hour!

His eyes look heavy but he battles sleep so to save my legs I set up camp in the hallway watching iplayer on my phone.

Anyway I hope as the days (or weeks :roll: ) roll on he'll begin to learn his routine & settle quicker.

My biggest hurdle will be when hubby is on earlies as he goes to bed about 7pm & won't like a baby keep waking up. Not sure how to deal with that one :? Currently the earliest I've got him to sleep is 8:45pm & the latest closer to 11pm.

Replies

• Options
    We still have LO downstair until Dad comes to bed in Moses Basket but We have been giving bath 1/2 hr before I guess next bottle is due, then bottle then cuddles then into moses basket, last 2 nights she has slept for 5 hours then, but not sure if the heat or what... she is 6 weeks today!! A very loose routine yet hun, xx
  • Options
    Not a rigid routine but we aim to bath around 6.30-7.00, followed by an attempt at breast feeding and followed by bottle, then if he doesnt drop off on bottle cuddles and rocking till he does.

It's all very vague and depends on what kind if day we've had.
  • Options
    Holland is only just coming up to 4 wks so the routine is very loose, but basically when she wakes for a feed between 7-9pm we take her to the bathroom and do hands face and bum or full bath depending on when we last did a full bath and how dirty she is! Then we feed and settle her to sleep usually in our arms - not ideal but it works for us for now. Then we try and put her into her bassinet, which is in our room, this usually lasts from 5 mins to 30 mins before she wakes and realises she's on her own and we put her in bed with us! We will try and push the bassinet more as she gets older but for now just getting her and us some sleep is our priority! So it sounds like your routine is going well for a 7 weeks old, as I would love to get Holland into her bassinet for the night! As for your dh not liking a crying baby I think he'll just have to suck it up for now image You're not the only one that needs to adjust!
  • Options
    Hey, i tend to start bedtime routine between 6.30 - 7.30, starting with bath and then feed. sometimes Gracie falls to sleep during this feed which makes it easy as i can just put her to bed but other times she will be awake but i still put her to bed and basically hope for the best! sometimes she will settle easy others is just a constant battle involving me offering dummy / stroking hair etc. I do any feeds / nappy changes upstairs in dim lighting and silence

Good Luck hun

xxxxx
  • Options
    I have none whatsoever! I didn't start it with Lily properly until she was about 3 months and as Freddy is a pretty good sleeper most nights I don't really have any plans to start one yet. Especially as he doesn't actually have a room or a bed! Plus with the other 3 up there I don't want to have to keep running up and down the stairs and disturbing them.

He sleeps downstairs in his pram carrycot and we take him up when we go to bed.

xx
  • Options
    Well it took roughly an hour last night to get him to stay asleep, I pretty much camped out in the hallway to save my legs running up & down the stairs every 2 minutes.

He slept till 11:30pm when he woke for a feed, he only took 4ozs though. He then woke at 1:30am had another 4ozs, and 3:30am where he took a further 4ozs but didn't go back to sleep till nearly 6am. Then woke at 7:30am & had a good breastfeed.

Ugh, so tired!
  • Options
    I had a rough night too last night!