Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flu Jab

Hi ladies, I am 10+2 and have had a text from my doctors asking me to go in for a flu jab next weekend. I'm a little worried about it, as I've heard it can make you quite ill but have been trying to weigh up if that's better than chancing actually getting the flu.

Do you have plans to have it? x

Replies

• Options
    Hello! I had flu jab at my midwife booking in appointment last week and have to say I didn't notice any side effects at all. Hope this helps xx
  • Options

Ive just done a new thread didnt see this one. Im not sure what to do. Its interesting that you have been ok JP . i had it about 13 years ago and was ill for weeks after it. I just dont know whether its beneficial in the long run or not, ive never had flu and this is dc3 so i dont see why im more prone now x

• Options
    I've had the flu once and it's true what they say, if you're not sure if you've had it, then you haven't!

It really is awful and although it wouldn't directly harm the baby, losing so much fluid and feeling so unwell would be awful. You feel like you're going to faint just getting from the bedroom to the loo - and we know how often we're doing that now!

I've got a very good friend that's a midwife and 39 weeks pregnant and she advised me to get it. I'm going on Saturday so I'll see how I feel after xxx
  • Options

I'm having mine this afternoon....hopefully I won't have any side effects....will keep you posted! xx

• Options

I had mine a few days ago and all ok image Better to be safe than sorry xx

• Options

Hi ladies, I have just popped over from due in June as I saw you talking about flu jabs.  How many weeks were you all when offered it?  I have had a flu jab before and never any side effects so I am definately wanting mine done.  We get offered it at work and they are coming to do them on the 22nd so I am wondering if I will be pregnant enough  to get it or is there a time early in pregnancy when you shouldnt get it done?  Obviously I will discuss with the nurse who is doing them.  

• Options

Hi babypie, I had mine done today and I am just 9 weeks! My midwife said it was safe to have at any time during pregnancy xx

• Options

Just got back from the doctors and had my flu jab, not sure how long it would take to feel any side effects but I haven't even got an achy arm. Also, he told me I need to get the Whooping Cough vacine at around 28 weeks, which will imunise me and the baby. xx

• Options

I never had it during my last pregnancy and i'm undecided about what to do this time round. I think i will have the whooping cough one though. I probably will get the flu jab this time but i'll wait to speak to the midwife about it. To be honest during my last pregnancy the midwife wasn't very in favour of the flu jab which swung my decision but i suppose not as much was known about it then as it was over 2 years ago. I think i'll be having a chat with her about it next time i see her and making a decision based on that conversation. sorry this probably doesn't actually help you much ha! xx

• Options
    That's ok, I had it today. My doctor said it covers you for swine flu which is important, but everyone's different. Will be interesting to hear what your midwife says Mummy2K xx