Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Information please

Got a call from the hospital yestarday to say i had to pick up a precscription for antibiotics as they discovered i have group B Strep.  The hospital midwife also said when i go into labour i will have to have IV Antibiotics.  Has anyone had this in a previous pregnancy?  From what i read online, it seems it is common but can be serious.  Also i read that if you have it you cant get rid of it so i dont understand why i have been given antibiotics?  Any info would be appreciated.  I plan to ask my obstitrition about it at my next appointment but thats not until mid January.

Replies

• Options

I don't know much about it but my sister in law has this. She just had to have antibiotics during her labour and baby was fine. I think it can be serious as the baby can catch it at birth and can become quite poorly...but this is usually only the case if it is not known that the mother carries it. As they know that you carry it you will be given the antibiotics and all will be fine...don't think you need to worry...like you say it is very common. Not sure why you have been given antibiotics now though as think it is completely harmless to you?? Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Have a lovely christmas! xx