Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finger foods

Hi ladies, bit of advice please!

My stepdad's sister (is a HV) has sent me an NHS booklet on weaning (might have been nice if my own HV had thought to give me one!) Anyhoo it says to give fingers foods right from when you start weaning ... hmmm bit late as we've been weaning for a while but thought we'd try finger foods as Freddie loves to hold the bowl and spoon as we're feeding him.

So far have tried toast and Freddie loved holding onto it and feeding himself it BUT after he'd chewed and swallowed a bit he was sick everywhere - I was expecting gagging not sick. Also tried an Organix biscuit but a huge bit broke off in his mouth and I panicked and did what you're not supposed to and fished it out of his mouth.

Now I'm scared to try anything else!! Have your lo's been sick after finger foods? Is there anything I can try him on that might not make his sick? We've been blaming his reflux (super sensitive gag reflux) or is it just normal?

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Dylans not been sick after finger foods he has gagged when he didnt gum something enough coughed it up then swallowed it down again! lovely boy image

How about trying him on something you have given him pureewise eg carrot brocolli etc? Or if you are worry about it being his gag reflux work him up to bigger bits gradually by introducing lumps first. (sod the books :lolimage then work up to bigger things such as toast?

heres a list of finger foods a lovely lady posted in baby so helpful!
    http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/143666

Hope you and gorgeous Freddie are well xxxx
  • Options
    Sorry not of much help Welsh but i've been wondering the same thing too!

So far Sophie has just had purees, but i gave her some "normal" mashed potato last week which she gagged on & puked up EVERYWHERE!!

Finger foods wise i gave her a rusk in her hand the other day which she loved and probably would have eaten a load but I was also doing the panicking thing about her getting too much in her mouth!

I'm interested to hear what everyone else is giving too as im keen to start Sophie soon!

xxx
  • Options
    i will try and find the finger foods post in baby - its brilliant and its totally normal for lo to choke gag be sick - they are learning how to chew and swallow lumps so it takes a while. Also ther gag reflex is further forward on their tongue uand gradually moves back. Finger foods are great and self feeding becasue tehy learn to regualte their own appetite.

i think the best biscuits are farleys or the plum spelt ones. Milky moos are also quite good - i too had the same problem with organix.

with bread - crumpets are good to start cut into strips - bagles cut into strips and pitta bread as it doesnt seem to get stuck as much.

It was mrs butler who did the post so will see what i can find x
  • Options
    Thank you!

Em - will try him on veg - he loves carrot and brocoli pureed so maybe he'll like it steamed too. We're both fine (I'm shattered as Freddie flat out refused to sleep today!!) Hope you and smiley Dylan are good too

Nici - glad it's not just Freddie that gags on mashed potato - he looked at me like I was trying to poison him

Thanks Summer - will be brave and persevere with it. Have seen the Plum ones in Boots will get some tomorrow - I bought Farleys reduced sugar ones and I love them but can't believe how sweet they are? Not given Freddie any yet!

xx
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Conall is right into finger foods after only last week trying them for the first time!!!! Also I just cant believe the imporvement in his motor skills since doing it!

He has toast soldiers with either yoghurt on them or fruit puree after his bfast, he also likes bits of banana but finds these quite slippery so a biit of a chalenge and also the organix sweetcorn rings seem to be a hit. x
  • Options
    we have just started finger foods as well but Olivia loves the Plum biscuits, they break nice and easy for her! I havent tried toast soldiers yet but I am hoping to start doing it with some boiled eggs soon!
  • Options
    Lily loves finger foods- much to my annoyance, she had 3 days of wanting nothing but finger foods. So far, she has eaten jacket potato, lumps of the inner bit, no skin. Steamed carrot. Baked Beans!! Toast. Ella's kitchen milk and vanilla biscuits. Organix rice cakes with apple and Cinammon. I even made canadian pankakes on Thursday so she could eat breakfast with Beth and Sam. Beth and Sam were never this adventurous! They are all different eh? x
  • Options
    Freddie loves the Plum biscuits too! And he didn't gag with them, so working up to trying toast again. Steamed a load of carrot sticks and then baby brain took over and I forgot why I'd done them and pureed them up with green beans and chicken - doh!

My lowlight of the weekend ..... Freddie didn't gag when my friends 4 year old handed him a chip either - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!!

• Options
    cucumber sticks are really good, i cut the soft seedy bits out and jsut watch her carefully incase she gets a lump off. Rusks are quite good and buttery toast. I think the gagging/choking stage is just something they go through. Ive had jen whipped out of the chair and hung by her feet a few times!!