Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much is your baby feeding?

Brody is 29 days old today. As you know, Im taking domperidone to increase my low milk supply which seems to be working slowly. Im just wondering though, for those who are bf, how much is your baby feeding (along with their age)? I know it is hard to know how much (which was my problem!!) so if you have for any reason expressed, how much did you get for a feed? Or how long does your lo stay on the breast for each feed?

For those who are FF, how much is your baby feeding (along with their age)?

Does anyone know if bf babies should feed as much as ff babies? For some reason I thought it was less for bf but don't know why I have this in my head. :\?

Im currently feeding Brody for 40 mins from the breast (which when I last expressed on Thursday night was only 1oz but I am hoping this is now 2oz... need to check). Then he feeds between 2 - 3 oz of ff while I continue to top up until my milk has fully increased. So in all he is taking 4 - 5oz for each feed. It seems to be enough to keep him content. He feeds roughly every 4 hrs throughout the day/evening.

Is there a general guide to how much they should be feeding according to their age??

xx

Replies

• Options
    I think so long as you get to the 4hours then you are feeding enough.
    Isobel usually BF for 10-15 mins and goes 3-4 hours at night, longer during the day. She has fed for up to 30 mins but rarely and then only with lots of prompting to keep her awake. She does seem to work really hard so I think she is an efficient feeder. If I express, it seems to dry up after about 30 mins and I get about 150ml. She drinks this from a bottle in less then 5 mins and usually brings some back up (she's not been sick from BF yet).
    Brody sounds contented so I'm sure you're getting it right.
    Lentil & Isobel 13 days
  • Options
    Hi Sim,

I think Finn is a day older than Brody and his feeding looks like this (a bit messy but he follows this routine every day by himself)

6am - 5oz
    9am - 5oz
    12 noon - 5oz
    3pm - 4/5 oz
    5pm - 3oz
    7pm - 3oz
    9/9:30 pm - 5oz
    3/4:00 am - 5oz

As you can see he's a bit of a greedy boy! And cluster feeds in the evening before a long sleep - he's FF and he's on Aptimil 1.

• Options
    Hi Sim,

I think Finn is a day older than Brody and his feeding looks like this (a bit messy but he follows this routine every day by himself)

6am - 5oz
    9am - 5oz
    12 noon - 5oz
    3pm - 4/5 oz
    5pm - 3oz
    7pm - 3oz
    9/9:30 pm - 5oz
    3/4:00 am - 5oz

As you can see he's a bit of a greedy boy! And cluster feeds in the evening before a long sleep - he's FF and he's on Aptimil 1.

• Options
    toula is 40 days

bottle fed

has 3/4 oz every 3hrs from 7am to 10pm so 6 bottles a day and every other day has one at 3/4am!!!
  • Options
    Dylan feeds 5oz's every 3 hours bar at night when he goes 6 hours between 10 and 4. I actually cant fill him and were going to swap to hungry baby food as we tried to up the oz's but his tummy cant take 6oz at every feed. Hes 25 days old and a hungry little man just like his daddy! image

Em x x
  • Options
    Hiya

Sophie is 5 weeks old on Tuesday. As you know she was 9lb born so the mw's said she would always take more milk as she was bigger.

For the last 2 weeks, she has taken 5oz every 4 hours. Apart from during the night when she normally goes from either 10/11pm - 3/4 am then 7/8am.

For the last few days she has been draining her 5oz so today I have upped the bottles to 6oz. She hasn't drained them all but drunk the majority. I'm hoping this may mean the night sleep gets a bit longer.

Also getting her weighed again tomorrow so we'll see how much our little chunk has put on now!!

Nici xxx
  • Options
    Am I missing something - Ariana feeds for about half an hour or so some times she will go for 3 1/2 hours but somethimes only two hours. She is sidx weeks on tuesday. Sim I started a (messy) spreadsheet the otherday for feedtimes sleeptimes I can email it to you if you like just for a VERY rough guide
  • Options
    Hi,

My Scarlett feeds on demand throughout the day, it was roughly every 3 hrs but for the last week its been maximum every 2 hrs and less when she falls asleep after a couple of mins and then wants more 30 mins later (very tiring but nothing I can do!)

The only slight pattern is around 12 midnight, 4 am and 6-7am (although this reverted back to every 2hrs this week).

She is gaining loads of weight so obviously getting enough but because of her colic cant get her in any more of a routine as she often wakes during sleep because of her tummy.

Very jealous, wish I had more of a routine as shes 5 weeks tomorrow but as unpredictable as when she first came home.

Inka xxx
  • Options
    Finley is 33 days old, and is on hungry baby formula.

He takes around 6oz (sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less) between every 3.5-4 hours. Last night he went from 10.30pm to 3.30am then 7am.

He seemed to settle into a loose routine of 10-2-6, but it varies some days. He cluster feeds at times and sometimes will only go 2-3 hours (usually in the evening) but apparently this is normal during a growth spurt? xx
  • Options
    Ellie my baby is exactly the same, she is 6 weeks and her routine is usually 10pm to 2:30am and then 6am/7am roughly! She is on Aptamil 1 (tried hungry baby but it did nothing) she has 6oz and from about 4pm/5pm she willonly go 2 hours and cluster feeds all night until 10pmish!
    Never mind during a growth spurt she has been like this for weeks haha!
  • Options
    Lentil - wow.. 150ml in 30 mins! That's 5 oz! OK that gives me something to aim for. I was going to express again today to check but he has completely drained them both (and fed for an hour to do this so that is positive) so I will work on through the week or xmas day when I plan to anyway. Isobel does sound like a very efficient feeder.. my boy is just a tad lazy!!

MC - Maaya must be an efficient feeder too if she is only going for 10 mins on each boob!

Geez.. can by boy come and hang out with your girls to learn a thing or two? :lol:

Inka - Like Scarlett, Brody sometimes cluster feeds because he keeps falling asleep after a few minutes and then wakes hungry when put down (had a bad day of it yesterday!!) and it is hard work. Makes it difficult to get out of the house or even do things in the house. I spoke about this to my mw today and she encouraged me to break this habit by expressing and giving a larger amount to him in a bottle which he would drink a lot quicker than on the breast. Then being full, he would sleep longer and not wake up hungry soon after being put down. This is a temporary thing to do just to break their bad habit. Maybe you could try this at the problem feed times if these are consistent (since you obviously need to know in advance if you have to express!) She also suggested trying to stretch them out to the 3 hrs between feeds (easier said than done!!) so that they are really hungry and stay on for a good feed.

FF bubbas seem to be feeding between 3 - 5oz each feed. Or for the real hungry ones up to 6oz! Thanks girls, that is good to compare to.

Sarahlouise - Ive emailed you, that would be fab to take a look. I keep a record in a little book but it would be good to see what someone else is tracking.

Thanks for all your feedback girls.

xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies

Tyler is 30 days old on sma hungry baby, although thinking of changing to cow & gate comfort. He was on 4oz around every 2-3 hours and he does tend to cluster feed late at night, he feeds around every 2 hours through the night but moans all night because of his wind (have tried everything to alleviate this), from today we have upped his food to 5oz as he was draining the bottles. hopefully he will now sleep longer between feeds. its exhausting but hopefully it will improve shortly. last weigh in was at just over 2 weeks old and weighed 9lb.

sarah
  • Options
    Olivia is now 8 weeks 5 days old and for the last 3 weeks she has been taking 150 ml in most feeds. She is on Aptamil and feeds usually every four hours and she goes about 7-8 hours at night without her feed which is great, sometimes she will wake in the middle of the night for a bottle, so I always have one ready for her just incase!!
  • Options
    Sarah - which bottles are you using? I find the Dr Brown ones good for brody's wind. MiniMoo has found the Tomee Tipee anti colic ones good too.

Rosapenny - Im using Aptimel to top up. How far in advance are you preparing bottles? I find myself in a panic trying to do this one handed then cooling it all down when I run out of milk on the breast. Not ideal. But I thought you can only store the milk in the fridge for 2 hours? Can it be longer? Id rather make them up at the start of the day and then warm them as needed throughout the day. Help!

• Options
    I try to make her feed close to the times I know she is going to be fed, she is a fairly regular feeder but I am bad and I do make one up before I go to bed so I dont have to wait to cool it down or anything, they do keep for longer than 2 hours, I know the 2 hours is a precaution and during the day I dont do it just the sneaky one at night!! Im so bad imageops:
  • Options
    hiya

we are now using dr browns as TT were no good for us.

sarah
  • Options
    Ah Rosapenny youre not bad! Im sure its fine. No worse than me having to reuse a bottle today to mix more feed as I underestimated the topup he required and I didnt have time to resterilise it. Or mw trying to feed him a bottle with the cap still on and wondering why he was screaming :x !!

Hope the Dr B bottles work better for you Sarah. Brody now winds a lot better now he is on the Renitadine. We used to have to battle for ages to get anything up, if at all, and now he freely burps and trumps away on the stuff without any screams of pain.