Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Possibly the worst nights sleep ever

I just need to moan! OH went on his xmas party last nite, Isabella went to sleep at 10pm, was awake at 12midnight, she dropped off for an hour until 1am, i fed her and she was still awake at half 2 when OH came home, I fed her again at around 4am as still awake and trying to eat her hand! Fell asleep until 5am with her in my arms...ooops! put her down then my eldest Jayden woke up as he had had an accident in bed! Cleaned him up, fell back asleep for possibly 30mins when they both decided it was time to get up at 6am!

I sort of have a loose routine with Isabella and i dont know what went wrong last night but im hoping it was a one off haha!:\?

Replies

• Options
    I've had 10 minutes sleep and don't know which way's up today!! Freddie's feeds at 3-4 hours went out of the window too last night ... that coupled with his reflux grunts and growls meant I saw every hour on the clock. OH is on 12 hour shifts he works an hour away but due to snow it took him 3 hours to get home last night - he's only had 4 hours sleep but that seems like loads when you've had next to none!!!

Needless to say - today is a PJ day (and I've asked OH to try and finish earlier)

Here's hoping we have a better night tonight!

Welsh xx
  • Options
    I was just about to post the same thing - awful nights sleep.....Jasmine just wouldn't settle for long after any feed - she would go down for about an hour then wake again and be totoally unsettled till her next feed. Nightmare............feel soooo grumpy and miserable today........
    Welshka - can I ask about Reflux grunts and growls as Jasmine has this loads - how do you get a diagnosis of reflux and whats the difference between this and colic ? Thanks everso S XX
  • Options
    Hiya Sandygiz, Freddie and I spent 24 hrs in hospital and he was diagnosed with reflux. There's a post on here and if I could figure out how to do a link I would!! It's called FAO Carly (poss on page 2 or 3)

The Gaviscon doesn't seem to work consistently and if he's hurting he tends to grunt a lot and arch his back. Then he'll cry on and off too. It's awful, makes me feel so helpless He had his best sleep at 4 this morning (for an hour) on my chest, so I didn't dare sleep. Poss TMI bt I think the Gaviscon is making him constipated - he's straining a lot and when he does manage to go it looks like play dough.

Think Colic is constant crying isn't it? Freddie doesn't do that. It would be lovely to put him straight down after a feed if he goes to sleep on the breast but I can't cos 10 mins later he wakes up crying and is then sick. SO by the time we've winded him he's wide awake again

I have my 6 week check on Tuesday - if I make it to then I'm going to ask for different meds for him. Or if OH does manage to get off work early (unlikely) may take him to the drop in centre.

I'm grumpy and miserable today too! And lonely - family live 200 miles away, and there's snow here and I'm too much of a wimp to take the car out to visit friends :cry:

Welsh xx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you girls had a bad night sleep and hopefully it will return to normal tonight for you. Is it full moon time again??! No I think that was early in the month.

Sandy - reflux is stomach acid in the oesophagus that burns. Some babies bring it up, but others don't which is silent reflux. Reflux is one of the most common causes of colic, which is when a baby cries more than 3 hours a day. The reflux is harder to diagnose and many times the docs just say your baby just has colic and go away for a few weeks and come back later, and that it will last until your baby is 3 months. However if it is reflux, IMO it should be diagnosed and treated !!! Otherwise, you get a diagnosis after they are 3 months when the colic should have disappeared and you finally get some treatment.. meanwhile both you and your baby have been distressed for the time in between.

Ive just been through this with Brody and after seeing a gp, the paed team at hospital, a private paed, my hv and mw, then another gp I finally got some treatment for him and was prescribed Ranitidine. Brody no longer has pain attacks since taking this from Thursday (ie no more stomach hardening, arching his back, screaming endlessly for hours during and after every feed, being unsettled to go to sleep). He now burps so much better, he has stopped staining his nappy in between proper poos, and above all he is so happy and content. It is unbelievable the difference this has made and it makes me so mad that I had to be in absolute despair before someone would do something for my child!!! Im also mad that so many of us are fobbed off and our babies are left in pain for up to 3 months. It's ludicrous.

My advice then is to be persistent with the medical professionals. Chances are they will initially tell you to go away and say that "reflux is difficult to diagnose in newborns" but go with your gut instinct and keep going back until you get results, particularly if colief and any of the other things don't work for you.

xx

• Options
    Hi Sim, I've just read the other post and it does seem all too similar to Jasmine - I've got the Health Visitor coming tomorrow so will ask for her opinion (she'll prob be useless as usual though !) S X